Melbourne Day and Didgeridoo artist


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Port Melbourne
October 30th 2013
Published: October 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Another wonderful day - this time in Melbourne where we visited Mt. Dandenong and a mountaintop village named Orlinda. Had a bus tour through the suburbs of Melbourne on our way out of town because of a traffic tie-up on the freeway. The day was pretty overcast so the lookout over Melbourne was hazy and gray but the hibiscus trees were in full bloom and in a gorgeous array of colors. Melbourne downtown is very modern although they have kept many of the colonial houses. We just skirted that part of the city, but saw some interesting old blocks. Melbourne was a gold-rush town in the late 1880's, so they are quite proud of their mining days.

At sea today, we are in the Tasman Sea skirting around the eastern edge of Tasmania and due to dock in Hobart, Tasmania tomorrow morning. Our tour their is going to a wildlife preserve, and we're promised lots of indigenous Australian/Tasmanian animals, including some devils!

We took on a didgeridoo player in Melbourne so he's been entertaining us with some great music. We should be getting a lot more when we go back to Alice Springs and around Uluru (Ayers Rock). That's the southern border of where the didgeridoo is played. It is not played by aboriginals in all Australia, just a narrow band around the top of the continent.

More after our stop in Hobart (one of my personal places to see)!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb