MCG - Australia V Sri Lanka


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » MCG
March 2nd 2012
Published: March 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we had tickets to watch Sri Lanka v’s Australia at the MCG. It had been raining for the past few days so we crossed our fingers for sunshine but went prepared with rain coats and umbrellas! We packed a picnic of frittata, Turkish rolls, muffins and a bottle of wine disguised as a soft drink bottle, and caught the tram to the MCG. We had good seats in the front row of our terrace, with a cross section view of the wickets – which gave us the best chance of following what was happening in the game.

It turned out to be a very sunny and hot afternoon so we peeled off the layers and applied the sun cream before settling in to watch the game. With cash prizes on offer for the best dressed, the crowd watching was just as entertaining with spectators dressed up as Cricket Bats, Spider man, Lions and a man dressed as a female African dancer.

Sri Lanka won the toss and chose to bat first. There was steady batting from the Sri Lanka team, reaching 238 runs and all out, Will even managed to catch a photo of the final ball smashing the bails off the stumps to get their last man out. There was plenty of support for the Sri Lanka team with a brass band playing each time Sri Lanka scored a run.

During the break we were kept entertained with competitions between the supporting crowds, as well as the security teams removing spectators from the stands, not to mention a a few glasses of wine and our tasty picnic!

After the break Australia came into bat and lost a couple of early wickets, but the middle order settled down to chase the Sri Lanka target down. With an achievable target in site Australia lost a few wickets to leave the closing overs on a knife edge, with them needing 9 from the final over. Unfortunately the Ozzy tail enders buckled under the pressure, with the final batsman being caught out. The game finished at about 10.30pm so we caught the tram back to the flat along with all the other cricket fans whilst the Sri Lanka fans continued to celebrate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb