The zoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Hawthorn
February 22nd 2012
Published: February 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Last weekend our plans to head down to Philip Island to ee the penguins fell through so we took the train the Royal Melbourne zoo instead! We weren’t sure if we really wanted to go because caged animals isn’t really our thing but we heard that a lot of the animals were rescued. It turned out to be a lovely day- the weather was glorious and I got to see koalas, kangaroos and a platypus! The bush area of the zoo is open plan so you can walk right up to the animals if they come near the path. I stroked a friendly roo, who was surprisingly soft and smooth!



When the zoo shut we were going to head back home but someone mentioned that we could see the small penguins at St Kilda beach, which is closer to the city than Philip Island and better yet is completely, so we headed over, grabbed some dinner in a funky bar and walked down the breakwater to wait for the penguins. We were not disappointed! The tiny little things head in to the burrows underneath and behind the walkway at around 9/10pm and walked right underneath us. My pictures didn’t come out very well as no flash was allowed but there are pictures on their website. I bought some very cute kangaroo earrings and a koala poster for our place to brighten things up a bit!



Off to Sydney on Saturday, we’ve got an early morning flight booked so we can make the most of the 3 days we’ve got there! First stop will be Katoomba to see the Blue Mountains and then back to the city for usual tourist stuff!! Excited to see Sal again and to have some time with Matthew, as it’s been a while since we both had a day off together! And it gets us out of the tiny apartment!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb