Edit Blog Post
Published: April 3rd 2009
The copper head gasket on Bru's engine was leaking, so off came the head and the gasket replaced with a composite modern head gasket ( I had 2 spares made for my engine. Pity I didn't have a spare set of pistons) Some of the bolts securing the side water gallery were striped so that was removed and the block was hellicoiled and the water gallery replaced. I fitted my generator and stater motor.
The head went back on on Thursday night and Bru helped me swing the engine into the car on Friday night.
After spending most of the weekend hooking things up, I cranked it over without spark plugs to see if we had oil pressure. Up came the pressure but what was that knocking sound!
Dismayed, I went to sleep wondering.....
I came home at lunchtime on Monday with Chris, my Mechanic from work and proceeded to locate the noise. It turned out to be the starter motor. So we swapped starters and fitted the radiator and bonnet.
The rest of the week was spent tending to oil and water leaks, packing and unpacking and making a wooden box to secure 2 Nissan
Only two more to go
Here you can see how the cars are tied down
crankshafts to be machined and fitted to Dewi's TVR.
We had our first run on Friday and Bru came over and drove her on Saturday. He had never driven a Rapier before and was very impressed. So different to his 3 Litre.
On Monday 30th of March I headed into work and then onto Footscray were I met up with Bernie and Bruce in their Rapiers. There we waited most of the day while the 40 foot container was packed.
As I am writing this our cars are heading towards New Zealand and onward through the Panama Cannel to the UK.
Tot: 2.484s; Tpl: 0.041s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0359s; 2; m:saturn w:www (220.127.116.11); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.3mb