2007 Australian World Poker Tournament


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Crown Casino
January 16th 2007
Published: January 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Crown CasinoCrown CasinoCrown Casino

Crown Casino is the home to the Australian World Poker Championship. It was chosen one of the top 10 casinos in the world by the Travel Channel.
Poker fans,

This week, Australia is hosting the 2007 Australian World Poker Tournament at the Crown Casino in Melbourne. It is exactly like the U.S. World Series of Poker Tournament in Las Vegas, except the grand prize is a measly $5 million. The Tournament started on the 14th and goes until the 19th of January. The Crown Casino is about a 10 minute walk from where I am living, so I went to check it out last night. I arrived at the Casino and stood front row (leaned up against the railing) directly in front of the "main table" where I watched Australian hero Joe Hachem (2006 U.S. World Series of Poker Tournament Champion) tear up the table. In addition, I watched both Phil Ivey and Gus Hansen play for several hours. Although my interests in poker have subsided in the past few years, I must admit, it is extremely exciting and intense live! In addition, the players were incredibly friendly.....check out the pictures.....

Happy gambling.

Andy




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Phil IveyPhil Ivey
Phil Ivey

Here is a picture of Phil Ivey. The casino does not allow pictures during play, so I had to sneak this one with no flash, that is why the quality is poor.
Me and Joe HachemMe and Joe Hachem
Me and Joe Hachem

On the left is my New Zealand roommate Mike, on the right is me.....in the center is the 2005 World Series of Poker Tournament Champion and Australian hero Joe Hachem. He was an incredibly nice guy and has been the center of attention for the entire tournament. Australia absolutely loves this guy--his popularity is almost to the level of the late great Steve Irwin.
Me and "Fossil Man"Me and "Fossil Man"
Me and "Fossil Man"

Center: The 2004 World Series of Poker Tournament Champion Greg "Fossil Man" Raymer. Right: Lauren, a student from Wisconsin. Left: Me. As I approached Greg, a former patent attorney--until he won the $5M Tournament prize, I said, "Mr. Raymer, I am studying to become a patent attorney, could I take a picture with you?" He turns to me and says, "Sure, and by the way, patent attorneys are the only non-crooked attorneys." Ha! So there you go mom....


20th January 2007

sweet
i bet that was very cool seeing that tournament in person. that's awesome you got to meet all those professionals. sounds like you are having a blast over there. keep taking tons of photos.
20th January 2007

Jimmy would be so jealous. Poker still his passion.... Enjoy!! Love you.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb