KL to Melbourne and first couple of days


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
August 19th 2009
Published: August 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

View from apartmentView from apartmentView from apartment

View towards the coast
Hey hey!

So, we have finally arrived in Melbourne! After a boring 8 hour flight from Kuala Lumpur we touched down in Melbourne and were surprised at how painlessly we got through Immigration! We were also surprised at how bloody cold it was!
We were picked up by Dans (second??) cousin Bill and his wife, Sue. They took us back to their apartment in Melbourne City centre. It is a truly amazing place on the 55th floor of the Eureka tower which is the tallest residential tower in the world (if you don't count the mast on top of the Q1 tower on the gold coast! Cheaters!)
We got in late at night so went to bed after staring open mouthed out the window for a good few minutes at the city lights.
We woke up earlyish and had breakkie, whilst gazing out at the view! We spotted some of the major landmarks like Albert Park and the MCG then went with Bill and Sue for coffee in one of the many trendy little lanes that link all the major roads. They helped us get our bearings and pointed out some of the areas we may find useful.
We went
View from apartmentView from apartmentView from apartment

The MCG and national tennis courts just in front.
off alone and managed to open bank accounts and get ourselves new Australian mobile numbers. Not bad for our first morning!

We went back to the apartment late afternoon and went for a drink and some dinner with Bill and his daughter Laura and her fiance Josh. Dan mentioned that he wanted to go to have a look round MCG (Melbourne cricket ground) and was told to go to an Aussie rules game instead of doing the tour. Josh has lent us his season ticket for his team Hawthorn Hawks and so we are watching Hawthorn (our new fav team!) vs Richmond (booo!) on Saturday night. We have no idea of the rules but are almost certain not many people actually do!

Day 2 in Melbourne saw Bill and Sue heading back to their home just outside the city, which we have promised to visit soon. We had a long walk around the city on the look out for job adverts and checked out a few hostels.
We found one right in the centre that looks good and so we sadly move out of this amazing place on Friday. Tonight we are cooking for ourselves for the first
View from apartmentView from apartmentView from apartment

Albert Park with coast in the background
time since leaving England!

Tomorrow we are getting a tram out to St Kilda, which is a suburb on the coast. A day out, but also to look at possibly renting a room there. The 'Neighbours' bar is in St Kilda too so we may have to check that out!

Siobhan and Dan

P.S Melbourne is full of places with really funny names we have seen;
Gaylord Indian Restaraunt.
Batman Street
Batman Avenue
Dame Edna Place (the street sign has showbiz style light bulbs around it)
AC DC Lane (Rock on!)




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

View from apartmentView from apartment
View from apartment

You need a head for heights if you live here!
Eureka TowerEureka Tower
Eureka Tower

Our home for the first few days here. This is not our photo, we havn't taken any photos outside yet and I cant be bothered to go 55 floors and through to the street to take a photo!


19th August 2009

SOS
Ok guys - just to remind you - AUSTRALIAN CROCODILE DUNDEE was actually a LATVIAN MAN - Arvīds Blūmentāls. Have a good time there , ok ?
19th August 2009

Melbourne oooooh
Aren't you the lucky ones! Great to read all about your arrival but I'd already heard all about from Great Auntie Margaret!!! Well Daniel when you wake up you'll be another year older. Hope you have a very special, happy birthday! Enjoy!! Margaret says that Nan B told her the birthday was today, 19th, so you may be getting messages ahead of the day! Anyway, must go now. I'll keep looking for your news. Lots of love Nan and Frank (he's got a nasty attack of shingles!!!!).
19th August 2009

WOW
That's all I have to say WOW! xxx
19th August 2009

oooh nice apartment views, glad you made it there ok xx
20th August 2009

SOS
Congratulations to you, my old friend, Birthday wishes to you, I send. You look good for your age, I could say, But you look good like me any day. :) Happy Birthday

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb