Melbourne: The Fall in May


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
May 23rd 2007
Published: May 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

It's now well into autumn here in Melbourne, the nights are now cold, so cold that blankets on bed and heaters are required to survive. no wonder not that many backpackers visit Melbourne at this time of year. My time here though is almost at and end, a week on Friday I'm taking the train to Sydney, and then well i'm going to be doing some travelling in my final 3 weeks in Australia, but I'll obviously report on that and where I get to when the time comes.

Not really much of travelblog worthyness to report since the Easter trip, in fact I've not left the city since then so traveling I have not been, just working away saving some money, and when I can enjoying the superb cafe culture etc. Work whilst hardly engrossing my mind has been handy, especiall as on 12-8pm shifts you are less tempted to spend much money, and as most of my colleagues live down in St Kilda it's a bit of a hassle going all the way down there for an after work drink. Still been great for the banter, working with loads of other travellers does make make clocking in for work more bearable.

Nearest to getaways have been St Kilda and Williamstown (tip, good quieter alternative to St Kilda and you can get a ferry from the southgate). Also discovered the delights of one of Melbournes most guilty of pleasures, the Casino, the place is enourmous, actually it's a bit like being in Singapore Airport. Like Mos Eisley perhaps it is a bit of a hive of scum and villanny, or to put slightly more politely, just full of people who don't look like they have the money to spare for gambling.

Whilst the weather has been a bit more like Britain at least I get to shuffle through leaves in the park which is a bit surreal considering it's May, but then for over a year now my weather clocks has been pretty screwed up anyway.

I'm ready to leave Melbourne now, not just the weather, but as a backpacker whilst I've been here for some time I've met loads of people, but had to watch them come and go, that gets tiring after a while and so feel it's definately time for me to move on.

Melbourne will never strike people instantly in the way the Sydney does, it does not have the climate of further north, but it's been one hell of a good place to camp out since January, always something going on, subtle pleasure aplenty, will be sad to leave next week.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb