Pictures of a city


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
April 7th 2007
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Pictures of a city

 Australasia » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre By UV
April 7th 2007 When you get down to it, Melbourne doesn't have any unique characteristics. No dominating mountain, no lake or sea waterfront (the harbor is not even visible from the center). It does have a major river flowing through it, the Yarra, but nothing out of the ordinary. It has no world famous landmarks or man-made structures. It is just a city. But a damn fine one.
The streets are wide and comfortable. There are some sky scrapers, not to many and not too high, and big impressive buildings housing the museums and such. The architecture is a pleasant mixture of Victorian and modern and the gardens are exquisite. There are bustling markets all around the city, for the tourist and locals. I have found interesting and appealing works of art and structures (like fancy bridges) all around, just walking. The downtown area is a real downtown, for better or for worse, but all around there're suburbs of every type, with long shopping streets and residence areas from the posh to the funky. And for finishing touch - decent public transporting including trams!
This is a real city. And with all due respect to New-Zealand, not even Auckland felt like that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Old and NewOld and New
Old and New

Federation square
Model Tudor VillageModel Tudor Village
Model Tudor Village

In the Fitzroy gardens
Two Victoria ex-premiersTwo Victoria ex-premiers
Two Victoria ex-premiers

Near the Treasury
Swan stSwan st
Swan st

Richmond suburb
Parham marketParham market
Parham market

Still don't know what was so special about the sea food there.
Greville stGreville st
Greville st

In Parham
On Fitzroy StOn Fitzroy St
On Fitzroy St

St. Kilda


7th April 2007

In Seattle there was another seafood stall in the market with dozens of people clamoring around to see that had me wondering what all the attraction was. Then I saw they didn't move the fish around as much as they threw them about from side to side, which is what people came to see.

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb