Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
May 22nd 2015
Published: May 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, today we visited 'The Immigration Museum' on Flinders Street, it is a beautiful building, which used to be the Old Customs House. We read stories about immigrates coming to Victoria, starting with people leaving their own countries and how they settled in Australia down to the issues they had to deal with such as the different cultures, racist behaviour, language barriers and the difficulties of finding work. Lots of sad stories with people fleeing their homelands due to wars or disaster's and having to leave behind family and friends. It was interesting to read about the stories of the £10 'pom's' and children who were allowed to come in free. Such an interesting museum, we were in there about 2 1/2 hours, just love the museums out here. We had a coffee in there, had a nose outside in their Festival Courtyard and Tribute Garden where the names of thousands of people who have migrated to Australia are recorded. Lots of school children came in, making notes, they also have an Education Centre inside along with a Theatre. Lovely place for kids to visit as they can join in and take part in immigration interviews and make a decision whether or not to allow that person in and you can take a voyage to Victoria in a replica ship from the 1840s through to the 1950s. I found it all very fascinating, more than 9 million have migrated to Australia since 1788. After the museum we caught the tram home to go and see Sue and Brian's new place they are moving into next week, then we are going back into the city in about 3 hours to meet Steve Finlow for a beverage !! Well it's Friday night !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd May 2015

£10 Poms!!
Good morning from the campers,so peaceful on this sight only the sound of beautiful bird songs to be heard,lovely and cosy in my sleeping bag with the heater on having a cuppa,bliss. My Gt Granmother went over to Australia on the £10 passage,must try and find out more about that. Have a safe journey,hope you get some sleep.Hope to see you two on Monday on our way home. Love Dolly.x

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb