Australian Grand Prix 2012 – Day 4 – Race Day

Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Albert Park
March 18th 2012
Published: March 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

With us all suffering with self-induced headaches form prior the night’s entertainment, we got up and prepared our hampers of food for the Grand Prix and made our way to the circuit by tram.Much to our surprise Mark had even suggested the idea of buying a ticket for the final day with minimal pressure from us!

With the sun beaming on us we took our seats in the stand and started to gorge ourselves on the well food we’d prepared whilst watching the very entertaining RedBull Race Off race which at times was a full contact sport! Next was the final of the Ultimate Speed Comparison with last McLaren having a staggered start from a V8 Challenge car and a fast road going Mercedes-Benz, with the intention being they all cross the finish line at identical times. The last track action before the F1 came from the V8 cars, and although there was some contact, the race didn’t deliver the same level of excitement as the day before, so we ducted out early to hide in the shade for a while before the start of the F1.

From our seats we saw the race start, and by the time the drivers came round to complete the first lap we could see Jenson had taken first place from Hamilton. The race progressed without too many dramas in front of our stand until the safety car came because a car broke down on the start finish straight, and we saw the pit lane tactics come into action as Vettle was able to jump past Hamilton into second place. The crowd continued to will home the local drivers although Webber wasn’t able to catch Hamilton before the chequerd flag fell and he had to settle for fourth position.

With the race over we meet up with Mark and Gary (another friend from back home who’s settled in Melbourne) in front of the Castlemaine XXXX Bar whilst we finished our wine the and guys hoped the XXXX Angels woulud make one last appearance in their rather limited uniforms! One the crowd’s had cleared we wandered back to see the final minutes of the Crusty Demon’s stunt show before catching a lift with Gary to the Lucky Coq bar for a couple of drinks and cheap pizzas. Heading back in the direction of home we stopped for a couple of drinks in Bridie O’Reilly’s for a couple of last beers whilst listening to a guitarist before we all started to fade and we caught a taxi home.

Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Tot: 1.142s; Tpl: 0.045s; cc: 14; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb