Mt Beauty/Mansfield


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mansfield
December 3rd 2019
Published: December 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 9 (1/12/2019)



Awoke to a cold morning with constant drizzling rain. Was a noisy night as there was a large group of motorcyclists staying in the caravan park. A small handful of them making loud noise throughout the night made it difficult to get a decent sleep. Shame people are ignorant & cant be respectful of the curfew hours.



Went for a drive down to Goughs Bay near Lake Eildon & back through the Howqua Valley & Delatite area, coming out at Merrijig. What else to do on a cold wet miserable day but pop into the Merrijig Hunt Club pub for a light lunch, followed by a visit to the Social Bandit Brewery for a drink by the wood fire.



Returned to the caravan as the temperatures had not reached double figures all day.



Had lamb chops & satay sticks for dinner. The rain is still persisting & is so cold the heater has been on since mid afternoon to keep us warm.



Day 10 (2/12/2019)



Woke up to constant mild to heavy rain, along with strong winds. Decided to go for a decent drive instead of staying in on a miserable dark day.



Went to a place called Bulldog Flat alongside Big River in Eildon National Park, at the Jamieson end of Lake Eildon. Turn right 2km before Jamieson where the Jamieson Brewery is, then take the LEFT fork in the road which is the Jamieson-Eildon Road for around 30km. The road is extremely windy & narrow in parts, so take your time & drive carefully.



Fished several parts of Big River & Taponga River, with some great sections that deserve a lot more time. Despite drizzly rain on & off, there were loads of trout that turned it on, all of them Browns.



Kept 1 plump fish & released a good dozen or more fish. There were also many follows & missed strikes, with most fish hungry for the fly. Given the action & scenery, it was well worth the drive.



On the way back we could not believe how low Lake Eildon is. 3 years ago it was near capacity at around 89%. Since 2016 it has gone down rather rapidly to 69% in 2017, 63% in 2018 & 44.5%!t(MISSING)oday. It is disappointing to see this so low & we need to look after these valuable resources a lot better.



Went to the Mansfield Hotel for dinner. A 500gram Ribeye steak for $31.50 hard to pass up. Deb had Pumpkin Waffles followed by the lemon tart dessert.



Day 11 (3/12/2019)



Spent part of the day fishing the several lower sections of the Delatite River. Quite disappointing with only 4 fish seen in 4 ½ hours of stream time. Released a nice brown trout to fight another day.



Deb spent her day with a bit of retail therapy. Tonights dinner is lemon pepper marinated chicken & roast vegetables.



Updating the blog to finish off the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb