Cape Conran & Mallacoota


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mallacoota
March 2nd 2012
Published: March 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We didn’t leave Lakes Entrance until late morning… mainly because it was so hard to leave behind the cosy armchairs and TV!! Once on our way, we stopped at Cape Conran, a coastal park with beach, rocks and walking tracks. We walked around the coastline to a lovely secluded spot with rock pools and what looked like fossilised trees. Other people had built pretty stone stacks, so I added one too.

On the way to Mallacoota, a car overtook us and caused a pebble to hit our windscreen. There’s a slight chip but thankfully it hasn’t moved yet. It’s a bit of a déjà-vu from our Christmas trip to New Zealand. This has never happened before, and now it’s happened twice in a row!

It was late afternoon by the time we reached Mallacoota. As the Lonely Planet’s last entry under Victoria, it is the state’s most easterly town. The foreshore caravan park is amazing: it’s huge and curls right around the Mallacoota Inlet. Despite the dodgy weather (howling winds and torrential rain) we managed to squeeze in a bike ride around the water and into Croajingolong National Park. I’m quite happy with my new bicycle although it’s already rusty from all the rain we’ve been having. I’ve named it Jo, and Dean has named his Captain Chili :-)

There are plenty of pelicans and black swans in this area – as well as a few kangaroos. I hadn’t thought that pelicans liked to fly very much, but apparently they do! We also visited the Saturday morning market and picked up some beautiful local produce (I just love that the green beans were picked less than 24 hours before we ate them) and decided to treat ourselves to massages treatments as one of our fellow campers turned out to be a lovely massage therapist.

THE TRUTH (by Dean Glasgow)

Officially notice is hereby given that Ninety Mile Beach is no longer so called. Its new official name is Squeaky Beach. This is much more appropriate, given the sound the sand makes when you walk on it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0781s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb