Port Albert to Lakes Entrance


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Lakes Entrance
January 14th 2013
Published: January 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Port AlbertPort AlbertPort Albert

Good restaurants here
Port Albert to Lakes End
Said our farewells to the Australian couple we had met in the B and B in Port Albert, they were very interested in what was happening in the UK and we had a lively conversation about the state of the world and education in particular. A relatively short journey to our next destination Lakes Entrance which was a 3 hour drive up the coast. Arrived at around 1.00pm, the place resembled the Bates Motel from the Hitchcock thriller Psycho, I reassured Pauline she would be quite safe taking a shower. Motored into Lakes End, fabulous location but the town was a little run down and looked more like the arse end of Australia. Undeterred we walked over the footbridge to one of the island spits and enjoyed watching the breakers coming in. It was a bit cool on the beach, the weather had turned to around 18 degrees so we left, did some grocery shopping and headed for the next bay Lake Tyers about 10 kilometres east. Huge variety of water fowl including giant pelicans and lots of them wading in the shallow waters, very prehistoric looking. Nice pub on the beach but we were watching finances today.Fancied some healthy low calorie fish and chips and drove south for about 30minutes to Metumg a fabulous little resort, up market with plenty of yachty people and a decent chip shop. Tucked into our supper on the waterfront and chatted to a really nice family from Melbourne visiting their Mum who lived in Metung. She told us of a pelican that had snatched a puppy from the street for an evening meal, makes a change from fish I guess. They too were keen to know what was happening in the UK and we reassured them that our economy was not going down the pan and we were nowhere as badly off as Greece. Thewildlife enjoyed the remnants of our meal, we let the two girls from the family feed the gulls and black swans with chips which they thought was great fun. One of the real delights of out travels is meeting up with people from other countries and enjoying chat.As we were about to leave around a dozen Gallahs came sweeping out of the trees. They are grey birds with a pink chest. The drive back was very pretty as the sun was going down. We saw some kangaroos jumping across the fields and a fox took off at great speed as we went by. This was a great day for wildlife, and chatting to the locals.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb