WELCOME TO 2014


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Hastings
January 13th 2014
Published: January 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

With Christmas & New Year celebrations now a thing of the past Christmas decorations, lights and trees have once again been packed away for another year. In the UK the holiday period at this time of the year only provides a 2 week break so everyone has now returned to work & school.

On Monday 6th January we received a memory stick from our friend Ken Harman in Hastings. David Clover had recorded the Holy Trinity Christmas Readings & Carol service which included a Christmas video message we had sent to Holy Trinity. It was so good to listen to the service and the familiar voices of our congregation and although we have enjoyed our time here in the UK, and it will be sad to leave, it did make us realise how much we miss our family and friends in Australia. So a big thank you to David for recording the service and a big thank you to Ken for mailing the memory stick.

Monday 6th January saw the resumption of normal Church services & activities within the United Benefice and although we could not make Tea Cosies on Tuesday 7th January we did attend the 9.30am Holy Communion and study service on Wednesday 8th January, these Wednesday services are very special and intimate while the Rev Mary's study session always provides a chance to share in discussion and challenges our thinking.

On Thursday 9th January we headed off to Birmingham for the day and although the breeze was a bit cold at least the weather was dry. Birmingham is about 20 minutes by train from Wolverhampton and after the usual very large coffee at Costa we looked around the 'Bull Ring' shopping centre, which is something that would rival Chadstone. Heading out of the shopping centre we made our way to the 'Thinktank' which is Birmingham's science museum. The Thinktank is spread over 4 levels - Level 3 The Future which includes the planetarium, Level 2 The Present which inludes medical matters & wildlife, Level 1 The Balcony which includes nuts & bolts and gadgets and Level 0 which is transport and machinery. There is also an outside science garden which was closed for maintenance. After spending a few hours at the 'Thintank' being challenged, and in most instances failing, the variety of activities designed for children of all ages, we headed back to the city centre. The original owners of this area were the Earls and family of the 'Berminghams' however at some stage the spelling was altered to Birmingham. We called into St Martins Church for a look around, there has been a place of worship on this site since 1255 however the Church has no grounds or graveyard and is now enclosed by modern buildings and court yards. We did manage to spend some quiet time at St Martins away from the hustle and bustle before heading back to the station and starting our return journey to Boningale.

Friday 10th January was the monthly Chip & Chat night at the Summer House Pub near the Manor house. Although this event was minus the sing song of last month’s Chip & Chat night it was still well attended by 24 members & friends from St Chads. A great night and a very large serve of Fish, Chips & peas were enjoyed by all and of course there was plenty of chat right up to closing time. This will be our last Chip & Chat as next month has been replaced by the annual Friends of St Chads Dinner & Quiz night.

On
The BullringThe BullringThe Bullring

Very Modern Building
Sunday 12th January which was a clear, cold and very frosty morning, no snow yet but at least the grass was very white, we attended St Chads Holy Communion service. Due to Rev Jill's ill health the service was taken by a local retired Vicar, Rev Simon Iredale, who we must say looked very young to be retired, what are we saying we're retired!!!!! It was a good service which included one of our favourite hymns 'Shine Jesus Shine' without the clapping and it's always interesting to listen to someone new and get a thought provoking sermon, this one on the Baptism of Jesus.

And for those who may have a passing interest we now only have 8 weeks to go before we complete our 6 months Ministry here in England and head back to Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Thinktank DisplaysThinktank Displays
Thinktank Displays

This truck my be older than Roy's


13th January 2014

Thinktank
It was nice to see photos of you both and I see you decided to stand by the tram.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb