Wanderings in Australia - 9 - Road Trip - Victoria - The Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
March 13th 2015
Published: March 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Great Ocean Road, 151 miles running between Torquay and Allansford on the South East Victoria coast, has been described as one of the greatest coastal drives in the world - it certainly is!! The scenery is simply stunning, especially in the first section between Torquay and Lorne, where the road twists and turns along the coast, right at the waters edge. Bays and inlets of bright turquoise sea, large surf and long sandy beaches come into view around every bend. We break the trip by staying at a B & B in Apollo Bay, a small seaside town set on a wide expansive bay.

We take a side trip, along Cape Otway Peninsula, to the old lightstation. On the way back we are again fortunate to see Koalas in the wild - more photographs!!

Next day, the Great Ocean Road turns slightly inland, travelling through farmland and open country but making occasional spectacular returns to the coast. The twelve Apostles - now only eight Apostles due to the ravages of the Southern Ocean and wind - are one of these. An awe-inspiring vista along the coastline with high cliffs and stacks of limestone in every colour varying between red, brown, orange, yellow and white, with turquoise and aquamarine sea foaming around their bases. We soon arrive at our next overnight stop, Port Campbell another small seaside village. We find our B & B - a clutter of antiques and artefacts from around the world with a very interesting owner who tells us stories of her travels.

We are close to the end of this wonderful drive, but there are still several highlights left. The Loch Ard Gorge, a deeply indented bay set behind a very narrow inlet through which the surf froths and boils, and where the only two survivors from a shipwreck, in 1878, were swept by the tide. A further stop, at London Bridge, reveals a high stack close to, but separated from the cliff headland, where until 1990 a bridge of rock was present. The Bay of Islands & the shipwreck coast is also scenic showing the swirling Southern Ocean surrounding numerous rocky reefs and small stacks, the scene of many shipwrecks over the centuries.

The amazing Great Ocean Road comes to an end at Allansford and we continue along the Princes Highway into Port Fairy for a couple of nights.

Accommodation - Nelson's Perch B & B - Apollo Bay

- Sounds of the Sea B & B - Port Campbell

- Comfort Inn - Port Fairy



Weather - Generally sunny with some clouds 22c


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb