The End is Nigh


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Geelong
February 19th 2009
Published: February 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday and a morning playing Pitch and Put in Geelong with Paul - he lost again. This was followed by a walk along the Barwon River and the Wetlands Park, although it was not at all wet and we were shrouded in a light blue smoke haze drifiting down from the Bush Fires, which had raged earlier in the week claiming 182 lives so far- not good.
Sunday another walk along the beach at Geelong, including Rippleside Bay where we saw two pelicans, black swans and other wading birds in 28 degrees heat. It was then time to pack up my bike ready for the off to the airport for a 10.25pm flight. I had packed my bike plus some other bits of luggage in a box, which I had cadged from a bike shop, and which increased the weight from my outward journey of cling film wrap to 27 kilos. Unfortunately the limit is 20k and I was charged £99.35 for the privilige - eek. I arrived in Manchester 26 hrs later to a winter, what a shock.
Summary;
New Zealand is a very good place to do a cycle tour and has some quite challenging riding. The scenerey when you get into the Alps and the hilly parts is stunning and goes on forever. The farming scene changes with sheep, beef, milk cows, deer, goats and wineries. There are also many old vehicles at the side of the roads, Austin and Morris cars, Leyland lorries, tractors of all types and timber extraction machinery etc. I was in heaven. The coasts are really impressive with large waves and rugged, timbered outcrops. The valleys are often very wide with a river running through, the bed of which can be 2 miles wide and full of gravel. This means that some of the valley farm land is rather bony and not very productive. A great deal of farmers have installed a irrigation systems on their farms to ensure some summer grass on an othewise barren land. The irrigation manufacturers must have had a field day.
The backpacking accommodation is of a very good standard on the whole and quite cheap with a dorm costing about £10 a night and a private room about £16. all with good kitchens, showers and internet facilities. I prebooked them all on the internet but could have got in alright in February on the spot.
The Northern coast arount Picton and Queen Charlotte Sound is particularly beautiful and well worth a visit. Queenstown and Wanaka are nice towns and offer many outdoor pursuits for the young and daring. In the mountains there are many walking (tramping) routes, some of which are 3 days long and have camping huts on the way. These appear to be really popular and I met many who praised them highly.
A trip to be recommended whilst you are on this planet.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb