Exploring Echuca VIC.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Echuca
March 11th 2013
Published: March 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Deniliquin NSW to Echuca VIC

Travelled 85 kms down the Cobb Hwy to the Murray River.

When we left in November the plan was to explore Victoria. Well we've crossed the Murray River and have only just touched down to our destination. We travel at a relaxed pace and do as we please, Victoria will still be here when we explore the state more fully.

Finding Betts Beach near Echuca to camp was simply delightful until we realised it was a long weekend in Victoria and in rolled the masses. Entertainment was on tap for us, people watching and chatting to locals but we are secretly pleased they've cleared out tonight and we can get back to our old fart lifestyle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Betts BeachBetts Beach
Betts Beach

Our private sanctuary, alfresco breakfast. Pleased with our choice of spot.
Private and ShadyPrivate and Shady
Private and Shady

Mmm, lovely spot close to the river.
What Long Weekend?What Long Weekend?
What Long Weekend?

This is how close they camped, looking out of our window. Funny Dave was complaining about the noise, I had ear plugs and had a great nights sleep. I think he just wished he was that young again.
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

People and constructions on our beach. Plus proof, Dave does get wet.
Groups EverywhereGroups Everywhere
Groups Everywhere

We decided we'd let the young families and groups of friends stay so we could watch all the fun on the river.
House Boat SetHouse Boat Set
House Boat Set

The Mature, Executive Style Folk could be found inhabiting House Boats, taking spa baths and drinking champs. High end river dwellers.
Action JacksonAction Jackson
Action Jackson

Young adults, usually Tradies were happy to speed in their boats usually with loud music blaring over their engines. Competitive lot! Mines bigger than yours....
Wake BoardingWake Boarding
Wake Boarding

Teenagers all used wake boards. We very rarely saw a skiier.
Jet SkisJet Skis
Jet Skis

Of course jet skis were a constant.
Knee BoardsKnee Boards
Knee Boards

Heaps of kids around 10 to 12 years were knee boarding. Quite a family affair.
The TubesThe Tubes
The Tubes

Kids of all ages loved these floats.
Float FunFloat Fun
Float Fun

Back and forth they'd go.
Personal FavPersonal Fav
Personal Fav

So my personal favourite is Pogo Stick Man, or so we named him. He was up and down the river on this stick thing.
Times are ChangingTimes are Changing
Times are Changing

The speed boats were fitted with racks for their boards, all very high tech.
Wet Suits?Wet Suits?
Wet Suits?

They seem to wear vests but not the wet suit bottoms we were always told we had to wear.
The PlebsThe Plebs
The Plebs

Then of course there are the blokes with their fishing tinnies. Definitely on the lower end of the socio economic scale of river traffic.
Port of EchucaPort of Echuca
Port of Echuca

Gorgeous quaint working Port. Founded in 1853 as a flourishing town with a fleet of Paddle Steamers transporting wool downriver and eventually to Melbourne.
PS CanberraPS Canberra
PS Canberra

Lilly was allowed on the Paddle Streamer but she was unimpressed. It was wood fired, hot, noisy and she couldn't see. Poor shattered possum.
Port WharfPort Wharf
Port Wharf

Beautiful Red Gum wharf and it is built like this to accomodate different flood levels of the Murray.
Aye Aye SkipperAye Aye Skipper
Aye Aye Skipper

Currently the river is 4-8 metres deep and the PS can run on half a metre of water. Amazing really.
PS PevensyPS Pevensy
PS Pevensy

Also known as PS Philadelphia in the TV mini series "All the Rivers Run".
 Different Levels Different Levels
Different Levels

This style of wharf is seen along the river and make great jumping towers for the kids.
Old World CharmOld World Charm
Old World Charm

Echuca still has the largest fleet of Paddle Steamers in operation in Australia. I loved these cute little ones.
Braved ItBraved It
Braved It

I forgot to mention, there were the poorly canoers and kayakers who couldn't even afford a motor, so we shouldn't really get a mention. Yes we stoically kayaked 3km up stream and back while they sprayed us in their wake.
Smarty PantsSmarty Pants
Smarty Pants

See what I mean.... zoom.....spray..... waves.
Rest SpotRest Spot
Rest Spot

It's been a great stay but glad they've all gone home. Ahhh!


12th March 2013

loved the photos & the comments to explain the photos. Must have been fun people watching.
15th March 2013

definitely
Yes it was Jane but have enjoyed the quietness of our next place.

Tot: 0.753s; Tpl: 0.346s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb