Spring is here!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Bright
November 30th 2011
Published: November 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bare treesBare treesBare trees

We arrived in August. Cold and wet
Blog 21 - Spring is here! The snow has gone and the trees are no longer bare. Spring has blossomed with colour and activity. The ducks in Morse’s Creek are protectively teaching their cute ducklings how to survive with hundreds of humans in the park and dozens of children in THEIR creek.

Bright is one of the most beautiful places in Australia and we enjoyed arriving to completely bare trees and very cold to spring and the breaking out of all the leaves on deciduous tree (nearly every tree in Bright) and flowers and blossoms. We spent our days off visiting all those place you have probably heard of, like Mount Hotham, Mount Buffalo, Falls Creek, Harrietville, Myrtleford, Beachworth (so Wendy could go to yet another Beachworth bakery) The Buckland Valley, Wandillogong and many more. We also travelled to Wangaratta for major shopping expeditions and to Albury and Wodonga.

Melbournians gave themselves a 4 or 5 day weekend for a horse race and many of them came to Bright. Bright responded by putting on a huge street market, Oktoberfest at the Brewery, Wandiligong Family Fun Day (complete with fireworks display), the 4 Peaks Run, and the final days of
The Canyon walkThe Canyon walkThe Canyon walk

The rain wasn't going to stop us getting out and about.
the Spring Festival. Most of our visitors went back to their homes and jobs and schools, but only a few days later, we were gearing up for THE biggest event in Bright. The Annual Hot Rod Run is held the weekend after “The Cup” and has been going for 21 years. “EVERY BLADE OF GRASS IS SOLD” was Wendy’s favourite saying to explain that there were no vacancies at the park for that weekend.

We love working in this place. It is very country and with a strong tourism flavour. It is just the right size to relax and of course work, which sometimes was very busy. The Caravan Park covers 26 acres with a creek running right through the middle, and there are trees everywhere - 700 in fact and all catalogued by the local Council, so tree lopping is quite an ordeal.

It was also lovely to have visits from Peter's sister, Judy and her husband Ron, and later we spent a very relaxing weekend with the Parkers and Clarks from Jindabyne, sitting around the fire beside the creek. What a life!

We were really settling into the area, we had a PO box, a
The Canyon WalkThe Canyon WalkThe Canyon Walk

This is where sluices were built in the Ovens River in the 1860's where gold was extracted. All done by hand... what amazing perserverance and inginuity!
permanent address for suppposedly up to 3 years and Peter even changed over to a Victorian Drivers Licence (NSW expired and it was much cheeper in Vic). Unfortunately the Managers were not as happy and became increasingly restless, and to our surprise we were retrenched on November 17. Well whatever will be will be and so we had to make plans to move on, which we did two days later. Sorry to all those family and friends who were also planning to come and visit us in Bright. Of course you still can, but without the pleasure of our company.

We had planned to go to Bendigo for a couple of days off anyway so we carried on with our plans to visit Bendigo for the caravan show, but we took all our house and belongings with us, instead of just having a weekend away. In Bendigo we have been sight seeing (tourist stuff), catching up on the shops, caravan show and motorhome maintenance, etc, etc. We have been applying for other caravan park jobs around Bendigo. Came close to getting one but the owner is too busy to be able to make a decision. We will use our
Mt BuffaloMt BuffaloMt Buffalo

A wonderful bike ride from Bright took us to Boynton's Feathertop Winery. A great way to spend the afternoon.
time to explore this region whilst putting our names out there for job opportunities.

Please enjoy our photos of our past 3 months in Bright (we have included 25 for your viewing pleasure).

………


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Very early SpringVery early Spring
Very early Spring

Taken 25th September
Same avenue as before Same avenue as before
Same avenue as before

3 weeks makes a huge difference in Springtime.
Snow on nearby mountainsSnow on nearby mountains
Snow on nearby mountains

This was 3rd October
The township of BrightThe township of Bright
The township of Bright

Surrounded by hills, Bright is quite sheltered.
Mount Buffalo ChaletMount Buffalo Chalet
Mount Buffalo Chalet

This magnificent 100 year old building has been closed for 4 years now. There is much discussion and planning about re-opening it, but such and old weatherboard, uninsulated building will take a lot of money.
The HornThe Horn
The Horn

The Highest point in Mt Buffalo National Park. No - we did not climb it!
Just one magnificent view after another. Just one magnificent view after another.
Just one magnificent view after another.

Mt Buffalo National Park covers 31,000 hectares covering the entire plateau and most of the forested foothills down to nearby valleys.
Peter in his new officePeter in his new office
Peter in his new office

26 acres is a lot of grass to mow
LeviathanLeviathan
Leviathan

This huge granite boulder seems to be perched on a just few small rocks. A photo just doesn't do it justice. It is amazing.
Perfumed airPerfumed air
Perfumed air

These trees (?) smelt wonderful. This track is part of the Rail Trail. We were "in training" to make it all the way to Wangaratta (67 km away! Ha ha)
More VisitorsMore Visitors
More Visitors

Parkers and Clark family camp by Morse's Creek.
Bright's main streetBright's main street
Bright's main street

The roundabout was closed off, people brought their chairs and eskys to sit on the footpath and median strips, and the hotrods cruised round and round and round. It was really fun to see all the shiny cars and ponder the investment these people have made, but we went home with headaches from the petrol fumes.


30th November 2011

Great to hear from you guys, shame about the job, but we are sure you will move on to something bigger and better......well maybe not bigger than 26 acres! Andy loved the hotrods pics! We are currently in Port Elliot, returned from Kangaroo Island and heading home for Xmas, safe travels and maybe catch up soon!!
30th November 2011

Memories!
What memories you bring back to me- almost dancing down the main street of Bright at festival parade time - wonderful music & company and all in such beautiful country. Thank you! Dawn.
1st December 2011

Love your story of perseverence and enjoying whatever you find.
We don't grow without setbacks of course, so good to hear about that too. Lovely to see nature and to hear of your experinces with different people. Love Hans
1st December 2011

Spring is here
Hi Peter and Wendy, great to here from you and i loved reading your blog and photos over a coffee. Dissapointing to see that you had to move on......... there is always weird people in this world and I suppose that's what makes the world go around..... I have no doubt both of you will anchor your feet again very soon with the next exciting venture and we look forward hearing all the news. Are you heading back to Gosford for Christmas??? Our direct family are getting together in QLD so that will be fun with all the different personalties - I'm looking forward to seeing everyone............. Take care and look forward to hearing from you - Love John
1st December 2011

Great photo,s 20 out of 25 came through
Hi Pete & Wendy, Great to hear from you, didn't know where you were, we went for 6wks.away up through the centre of Aust. to Darwin then back during July-Aug. it was great & not long enough. Hope you find somewhere soon. It,s looking great up this way at the moment. Have a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS wherever you are at that time.
6th December 2011

Hi Peter & Wendy. What a beautiful place Bright is and what a shame you had to move on.However the nomadic life looks to be agreeing with you as you are both looking great. Hope you find another nice part of Oz to settle down in soon. Have a wonderful Christmas and a safe and exciting 2012.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb