Waterfalls & Rainforests


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Apollo Bay
October 28th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -38.7484, 143.67

Croissants from local bakers, window shopping in Apollo Bay which was completely deserted (shops don't open until 10 am) walked round the marina and back along beach. Only people out were dog walkers and 6 crazy Ozzie swimmers - weather overcast with rain predicted (I have a suitcase full of shorts and vest tops that haven't seen the light of day) Drove to Otway lighthouse - lots of wild koalas in the trees (beyond cute!) Travelled inland to Otway Fly for a walk in the treetop canopy. Saw a yellow breasted robin, a couple of Kookaburras and lots more parrots. Road signage gave hope of seeing kangaroos but none spotted. Carried on to two waterfalls (didn't see another soul until a few hours later from this point as whole area uninhabited with gravel tracks for access) Triplet falls (a forty min walk in to the Beech Forest) and further on Hopetoun falls. Refreshingly no tourist trap entry fee (despite proper walkways and viewing platforms), no health and safety preventing access and no people! Cloud came down fast in to the trees and our route back was via windy sheer drop-in-to-the-forest-below turns which were a bit hairy at times and the low cloud with no other drivers made it eerie - felt like proper adventurers! Anyway we live another day ...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb