Kennet River to Princetown


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Apollo Bay
April 18th 2017
Published: May 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We awoke to the sound of a big ocean, I seem to sleep really well by its nocturnal roar. Packing up our tents we saw a large fox run past our campsite. It was our first feral encounter for the trip, however I suspect there will be plenty others and all not of the animal kind. About 5 klicks down the road we caught up with Kirk and Bruno packing up their tents, so we set off as four again with a welcoming tail wind pushing us along. Well actually it doesn't push us long, in as much that as there is little wind resistance riding with the wind, if you get my drift. Today is going to be hot, so plenty of hydration, no not the blue stop sign stuff. After 23 ks we arrived at Apollo Bay, just in time for a morning tea break, Coffee and donuts and its back in the saddle to see where today will take us and what will it bring. Six kilometres west of Apollo Bay the Great Ocean road goes inland to the Otway Ranges. It was another big climb up into the distant mountains. Once we gained the ridge we traveled through some beautiful rainforesty vistas,to encounter our first roadworks, slush and mud made it tough going on bikes and riders. Once through the roadworks, it was a welcome sight to see the blacktop again. When we got to the other side of the mountain we had a big descent to the flatland below. On one downhill run, my bike computer recorded a top speed of 69.4 ks, that's quick on a pushie. Trouble struck for Bruno again when his knees seized up, he was in real pain and obviously could not ride further this day, so he hitched a ride with a German couple in a Kombi Van to Lavers Hill. Meanwhile we continued on riding the the big 20km climb up to Lavers Hill, where Bruno was waiting for his next hitch. Not many cars pick up riders and their bikes, so it could be a bit of a wait for him. From Lavers Hill we continued on to Princetown where the Great Ocean road, finally rejoins the ocean.The locals told us being mid week, we could camp at the footy oval .After a grueling 103 ks, we set up our tents on the oval. Soon after Danny another touring cyclist rocked up to camp with us. As he was setting up his tent, Bruno entered the footy oval pushing his bike. With aching knees, he had pushed his heavy bike for many lonely ks, he was not a happy camper. After enjoying a communal dinner, Danny produced a fiddle, man he could play, we had a great moonlight jam long into the night, We were really going off this night, serenading the distant moon and stars, we jammed until the cold night air and the mosquitoes got the better of us..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb