Tasmania


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
February 10th 2014
Published: February 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Coles Bay, Tasmania - January 2014Coles Bay, Tasmania - January 2014Coles Bay, Tasmania - January 2014

I brought my Vietnamese conical hat with me on this trip. A security staff at Brisbane airport scanned my hat and asked me "Is this Vietnamese hat?". I said yes. He asked me how to say in Vietnamese. It was the first interesting experience on the trip.
25 to 31 January 2014 – We flew from Brisbane to Hobart on JetStar and traveled about 1,400km by campervan for 7 days around Tasmania. When we arrived in Hobart, it was 15oC, even though it was still the summer time in Australia. Tasmania is an island state, located 240km to the south of the Australian continent. The state includes the island of Tasmania which is the 26th largest island in the world, and the surrounding 334 islands. It has a population of 520,000 people. This is the fourth state of Australia that we have been to. Our rented campervan is like a mobile home which has table, two beds, kitchen, fridge and microwave. In every city and town there are caravan parks, where you can connect with power and water, so it is very convenient to travel around by motorhome, campervan or use tents. However, when you rent a campervan (AUD 75 a day), you have to pay for high insurance (AUD 100 a day), plus petrol and caravan parks (AUD 32 a day), so it is very expensive to travel around Australia.

On our 7 day trip we saw a half of the Tasmania island, mainly on the
Blow Hole in Bicheno townBlow Hole in Bicheno townBlow Hole in Bicheno town

It was 7:30pm when this shot was taken. The sun went down at 9pm.
eastern side. We only spent a day in Hobart (capital city of Tasmania state) and visited Hobart Harbour and a local market which is organized every Saturday morning. Most of the time we were out on the road. On the second day of the trip, we traveled to Port Arthur historical site and spent 5 hours walking around the ruins of the stone buildings. The old prison for convicts was established in 1830 and remained a harsh penal settlement for 47 years. Port Arthur historical site is so large as it contains more than 30 historic buildings, extensive ruins, grounds and gardens. We spent the third day visiting Freycinet peninsula and this is one of the most beautiful places that I have been to. Then we traveled along the East Coast to see great beaches and bays, and headed west to Launceston which is the second largest city of Tasmania. We traveled further up north to see a lighthouse in Low Head town, then went south along the Heritage Highway to see old towns on the way. We didn’t have time to go toward the west. There are some national parks in this area. Our last destination was Bruny island.
Landscape in Coles Bay, FreycinetLandscape in Coles Bay, FreycinetLandscape in Coles Bay, Freycinet

Coles Bay on Freycinet peninsula is my favorite place on the trip.
We took a ferry south of Hobart to Bruny island and spent 5 hours there visiting the sites.

Tasmania is an amazing place. The landscapes are so magnificent with expansive sandy beaches, mountain ranges, captivating national parks, fruit farms and vineyards, forests and well-preserved colonial towns. Before I traveled to Tasmania, all I knew about this place was a bottle of milk made in Tasmania that I saw at a supermarket and Tasmanian devils at the Australia zoo. Everyone had said Tasmania was very beautiful and it is true. I used to imagine green grassland with lots of cows and sheep. However, when I got there, it was very dry during the summer and we saw yellow and brown grassland along the way. There were also many dead animals on the road. They could be Tasmanian devils (animal with red ears) or little kangaroos which crossed the road at night and were hit by vehicles. Nobody removed the dead animals, so maybe the birds would eat them. There are many warning signs of wet roads and frost. I guess it can get very cold and the roads can be icy during the winter.

The highlights of our trip
Honeymoon beach, Freycinet peninsulaHoneymoon beach, Freycinet peninsulaHoneymoon beach, Freycinet peninsula

There are so many great beaches in Tasmania and this is one of them. However, the water may still be cold during the summer time.
were the beautiful landscapes in Coles Bay on Freycinet peninsula, the view of Wineglass Bay with a horse-shoe shaped beach (we had to walk up 3km along a mountain road to the lookout point), the view of the bottle neck between two bays on Bruny island, Port Arthur historical site (prison, church and other buildings) and old towns along the Heritage Highway. We went along windy roads, passing by hills and through forests. One of the famous local specialties is oysters and you can buy them at oyster farms. There are some other farms on the way where tourists can visit like vineyards, blueberry farms, or chocolate shops. Some museums are very interesting like the one in Copping where people have collected various things used in the old days, or Bligh Museum in the Adventure Bay on Bruny island with some information about Captain Cook’s arrival in January 1777 and other famous navigators. I was moved by a photo of the last aboriginal survivors on the island.

When we left Hobart and came back to Brisbane on 31 January, we went to Inala market where many Vietnamese shop. It was the first day of the Lunar New Year in
Oatlands town on the Heritage HighwayOatlands town on the Heritage HighwayOatlands town on the Heritage Highway

This is a windmill in Callington village. You can find many old buildings on the Heritage Highway.
Vietnam (the Year of the Horse). Most of the shops at Inala market were closed, however some shops and restaurants were still open. There was a lion dance and fire-crackers were set off in front of a vegetable shop. The smell of fire-crackers reminded me of my childhood as we used to celebrate New Years with it. I was surprised to see an Australian boy in the lion dance group. He was the only westerner among Vietnamese boys and girls who were performing the lion dance and beating drums. After the fireworks finished, some boys cleaned up the area quickly and the place was quiet again. Seeing the lion dance and fire-crackers for Vietnamese New Year in Brisbane by chance was a great experience after the end of our trip to Tasmania.

Other blogs about Australia:

My favorite places in Australia

Christmas on the Sunshine Coast

Canberra and New Year fireworks in Sydney

Đảo Tasmania – Ngày 25 đến 31/1/2014

Ngày 25/1, chúng tôi bay từ Brisbane đến Hobart cùng hãng Hàng không JetStar. Trong vòng 7 ngày ở đảo Tasmania, chúng tôi đã đi khoảng 1.400km bằng xe campervan (loại xe nhỏ có giường và bếp). Khi chúng tôi đến Hobart, trời rất lạnh. Nhiệt độ là
On the way to Port ArthurOn the way to Port ArthurOn the way to Port Arthur

When I took this shot, the sandy beach was so beautiful in the morning. When I passed by this place in the afternoon, the tide was going up and there was no more sandy beach.
15oC, mặc dù lúc này đang là mùa hè ở nước Úc. Tasmania là một trong số 6 bang của nước Úc, gồm một đảo lớn là đảo Tasmania (lớn thứ 26 trên thế giới) và 334 hòn đảo ở xung quanh. Bang Tasmania nằm cách lục địa Úc 240km về phía Nam. Dân số của đảo là 520.000 người, trong đó tập trung đông nhất là tại thành phố Hobart (thủ phủ của bang Tasmania). Đây cũng là bang thứ 4 của nước Úc mà chúng tôi đặt chân đến. Xe campervan mà chúng tôi thuê giống như một căn nhà di động có bàn, 2 giường, bếp, tủ lạnh và lò vi sóng. Ở mỗi thành phố và thị trấn đều có bãi đậu xe với nhà tắm công cộng và mọi người có thể kết nối với điện và nước cho xe, vì vậy nên khá tiện lợi. Tuy nhiên, khi thuê xe campervan thì phải trả phí thuê xe là 75 đô la Úc một ngày (1,5 triệu đồng), cộng thêm phí bảo hiểm là 100 đô la Úc một ngày (2 triệu đồng), thêm tiền xăng và thuê bãi đậu xe lúc về đêm là 32 đô la Úc, vì vậy nên đi du lịch ở Úc rất đắt.

Trong chuyến đi 7 ngày, chúng tôi đã đến thăm một nửa hòn đảo Tasmania, chủ yếu là ở bờ đông. Chúng tôi chỉ ở Hobart một ngày và đến thăm phiên chợ tổ chức vào sáng thứ bảy hàng tuần. Ở đây có bán khá nhiều món hàng độc đáo của địa phương. Gần đó là bến cảng Hobart. Phần lớn thời gian, chúng tôi ở trên đường. Vào ngày thứ hai của hành trình, chúng tôi đi về hướng đông nam đến thăm khu di tích lịch sử Port Arthur và dành 5 tiếng đồng hồ ở đây để thăm các di tích như nhà tù (từ năm 1830 – 1877), nhà thờ và các di tích khác có từ thế kỷ 19. Toàn bộ khu di tích này có đến hơn 30 công trình. Ngày thứ ba của hành trình, chúng tôi đến thăm bán đảo Freycinet và đây là một trong những nơi đẹp nhất mà tôi đã từng được thấy. Những dãy núi trong vịnh Coles gợi cho tôi nhớ về phong cảnh của Ninh Bình hay Vịnh Hạ Long.
Road sign of Tasmanian devilRoad sign of Tasmanian devilRoad sign of Tasmanian devil

Tasmanian devil is a famous animal in the state. This sign is to warn drivers that the animal may cross the road from dusk to dawn. We also saw many dead animals on the road.
Sau đó, chúng tôi đi dọc theo bờ biển về hướng đông, thăm các thị trấn, những bãi biển, vịnh, trang trại và các bến cảng, rồi đi về hướng tây để đến thăm thành phố Launceston là thành phố lớn thứ hai của Tasmania. Chúng tôi đi tiếp lên hướng bắc để thăm ngọn hải đăng ở Low Head, rồi đi về hướng nam dọc theo Con đường Di sản. Chúng tôi không có thời gian đi tiếp về hướng tây của đảo. Ở đây có nhiều vườn quốc gia và đường cũng khó đi hơn. Điểm đến cuối cùng của chúng tôi là đảo Bruny. Chúng tôi đi phà từ phía nam của thành phố Hobart đến đảo Bruny và dành 5 tiếng đồng hồ thăm quan trên đảo.

Tasmania là một nơi tuyệt đẹp với những bãi biển trải dài, những dãy núi, vườn quốc gia, các trang trại trồng nho và dâu, những khu rừng và những thị trấn nhỏ với những ngôi nhà có kiến trúc cổ từ thế kỷ 19 dưới thời thuộc địa Anh còn được bảo tồn. Trước khi đến Tasmania, những gì mà tôi biết về hòn đảo này là một chai sữa được sản xuất tại Tasmania trong một siêu thị và Tasmanian devil (một loại động vật nhỏ có lông màu đen, hai tai màu đỏ, mặt giống gấu, chỉ có ở Tasmania) mà tôi nhìn thấy ở vườn thú Australia. Mọi người đều nói rằng Tasmania rất đẹp và quả thực là như vậy. Trong hình dung của tôi trước chuyến đi thì Tasmania có những đồng cỏ xanh mướt với nhiều cừu và bò sữa. Nhưng khi đến nơi thì tôi chỉ thấy một màu vàng nâu của cây cỏ trên những cánh đồng và những ngọn đồi. Thời tiết ở đây quá khô hanh vào mùa hè. Trên đường đi cũng có nhiều xác động vật bị chết như loại kangaroo nhỏ hay Tasmanian devils. Những con thú này hay bị cuốn hút bởi ánh đèn xe lúc về đêm và đi qua đường, nên đã bị cán chết. Không ai dọn xác động vật chết ở trên đường mà có thể là lũ chim sẽ ăn thịt. Có nhiều cảnh báo đường trơn khi có sương mù và băng giá. Vào mùa đông, ở đây rất lạnh và đường có thể bị đóng băng.
Port Arthur Historic Site Port Arthur Historic Site Port Arthur Historic Site

The site consists of an old prison, buildings and churches which were built in the 19th century.


Những nơi mà chúng tôi thích nhất trong chuyến đi lần này là phong cảnh ở vịnh Coles trên bán đảo Freycinet, toàn cảnh vịnh Wineglass với bãi biển cong hình móng ngựa (chúng tôi phải đi bộ lên núi 3km dưới trời nắng gắt để đến được điểm nhìn toàn cảnh), nút cổ chai giữa hai vịnh trên đảo Bruny, di tích lịch sử nhà tù Port Arthur và những thị trấn cổ kính dọc theo Con đường Di sản. Chúng tôi đi trên những con đường ngoằn ngoèo, ngang qua những ngọn đồi và đi xuyên qua rừng. Một món đặc sản của đảo Tasmania là hàu ăn sống với nước chanh vắt lên trên và có thể mua trực tiếp ở các trang trại nuôi hàu. Một số chủ tư nhân mở cửa trang trại của mình cho khách du lịch đến thăm và mua các sản phẩm làm quà như trang trại trồng nho và làm rượu nho, trang trại trồng dâu, hay cửa hàng bán sô cô la có xướng sản xuất. Một số bảo tàng rất thú vị như bảo tàng ở thị trấn Copping, nơi mọi người sưu tập rất nhiều thứ
Landscape on the way to Port ArthurLandscape on the way to Port ArthurLandscape on the way to Port Arthur

It was very hot during the day but cold at night in Tasmania. The first day when we arrived, it was 15oC in Hobart, but it was warmer next days.
đồ cổ như vật dụng trong gia đình, máy móc v.v. có từ thời xa xưa, hay Bảo tàng Bligh trên đảo Bruny với những thông tin về thuyền trưởng Cook đến hòn đảo này vào tháng 1 năm 1777 và các nhà hàng hải nổi tiếng khác. Tôi cũng nhìn thấy một bức ảnh về những thổ dân cuối cùng còn sống sót cũng trên hòn đảo này.

Khi chúng tôi rời Hobart và quay trở lại Brisbane vào ngày 31/1, chúng tôi đến khu chợ Inala của người Việt. Hôm đó là ngày mùng một Tết âm lịch Giáp Ngọ ở Việt Nam. Hầu hết các cửa hàng và quán ăn đều đóng cửa, tuy nhiên vẫn có một số cửa hàng và nhà hàng mở cửa phục vụ khách. Trên khoảng sân phía trước một cửa hàng bán rau quả có biểu diễn múa sư tử và đốt pháo. Mùi thuốc pháo gợi cho tôi nhớ đến tuổi thơ khi ở Việt Nam còn được phép đốt pháo vào dịp Tết. Tôi ngạc nhiên khi thấy có một cậu thanh niên người Úc tham gia biểu diễn múa sư tử. Cậu là người phương Tây duy nhất trong số các bạn trẻ người Việt bao gồm cả nam và nữ tham gia múa sư tử hoặc đánh trống. Khi việc đốt pháo kết thúc, mấy cậu thanh niên nhanh chóng quét dọn đám xác pháo và khu vực này lại trở nên yên lặng. Việc tình cờ được xem biểu diễn múa sư tử và đốt pháo mừng Năm mới của người Việt ở chợ Inala là trải nghiệm thú vị cuối cùng sau khi kết thúc chuyến đi của tôi đến Tasmania.

Các bài viết khác về nước Úc:

My favorite places in Australia

Christmas on the Sunshine Coast

Canberra and New Year fireworks in Sydney


Additional photos below
Photos: 203, Displayed: 33


Advertisement

Richmond bridge Richmond bridge
Richmond bridge

Richmond is one of the towns which has many old buildings.
Landscape on the way to Port ArthurLandscape on the way to Port Arthur
Landscape on the way to Port Arthur

A long way to travel from Vietnam with my traditional dress and conical hat
Bruny Island Neck Game ReserveBruny Island Neck Game Reserve
Bruny Island Neck Game Reserve

Penguin walk and lookout
Flowers at Saturday market in Hobart cityFlowers at Saturday market in Hobart city
Flowers at Saturday market in Hobart city

The market is open once a week on Saturday morning.
View of Wineglass BayView of Wineglass Bay
View of Wineglass Bay

We had to walk up 3km along mountain road in order to get this view. The bay is famous for the horse-shoe shaped beach which is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.


10th February 2014

Great to see you in an ao dai in Tasmania. Although I'm Australian, I haven't been to Tasmania. Your photos make me want to go.
10th February 2014

Another TBer in Tasmania
Everyone seems to be going to Tassie these days! Glad you liked Freycinet NP, it was one of my favourite places there too :-)
10th February 2014

http://atenamechange.com/
This article is very helpful thank you very much for sharing .
10th February 2014

Tasmania
Thanks for the beautiful photos and the interesting account of your travels in Tasmania.
10th February 2014

Destination of the month
Maybe its because I have just returned from a month touring Tasmania so its on my mind, but it is being featured on TB by a number of TBers, all with glowing reports. Glad you enjoyed it.
11th February 2014

Absolutely beautiful photos & scenery. Brought back a lot of memories :)
22nd April 2014

van rental
The insurance coverage is more expensive than the rental? Is it mandatory?

Tot: 0.577s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 45; qc: 194; dbt: 0.2353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb