Cradle Mountain to Burnie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
March 14th 2007
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day Twelve of Fifteen:


Back roads to Burnie
Two more days could easily have been spent in Cradle Mountain on walks that centered around the mountain. If I had realised so much could be done here I would have booked at least another night instead of the next two nights in Burnie. At this time of the year the Spirit of Tasmania only sails during daylight hours on the weekends and during daylight is the time we wanted to make the journey to and from the mainland.

Moina was the only town of note that we passed through this morning. Other towns such as Upper Castra and Nietta were significantly smaller. We were back in farming country, cattle and sheep grazed in the green paddocks. The back roads were taking us to the Leven Canyon. A thirty minute return walk to the lookout was taken with just the two of us. Below the lookout runs the Leven River and it is a long way down to the floor of the valley.

We got some information in Ulverston (if you see a blue sign marked "i" go and visit the staff, they are always helpful). Some of the features along the scenic coastal route to Burnie are Goat Island, Three Sisters, Sulphur Creek Point all date back to when this landscape had a much more violent past.

The cabins where we were staying was just on the western side of the town. After unpacking we decided to get some more supplies at the local supermarket before retiring back to the cabin. The rest of the day was spent relaxing before going for a walk along the beach just across the road to the caravan park.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Leven CanyonLeven Canyon
Leven Canyon

The lookout gives a fantastic view of the valley.


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 87; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb