16 November 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Richmond
November 16th 2012
Published: November 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

This morning we stopped off at Margate before driving to the historic town of Richmond, 25 kms north-east of Hobart. It was lunch time when we arrived so we made our way to the bakery where we nabbed a lovely table out in the sun. Scallop pies appear to be the specialty in Tassie so I had to give one a go. The curried scallop pie dished up was unique and flavoursome, I intend to sample a few more while we are here.

The walk around Richmond is both beautiful and fascinating. We went to see the Richmond Bridge which is Australia's oldest bridge still in use. It was built using convict labour in 1823 and the stone work is magnificent. We also popped by the old gaol which was one of the more significant penitentiaries in the state's infancy.

The town has a great old-town feel and the cottages and accommodation reflect this. Before long we had made the quick decision to stay the night and landed a homely cottage just off of the main street. The interior was simple yet elegant and had a country hospitality touch. There was wood provided for the fire and breakfast for the morning. For those ever in the neighbourhood, head to Red Brier Cottage. You won't be disappointed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb