Port Arthur excursion & MONA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Port Arthur
February 19th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Denison Canal bridgeDenison Canal bridgeDenison Canal bridge

With the bridge rotated to allow the yacht through.
Geo: -43.141, 147.852

This morning we dropped Richard and Kerrie off at Richmond, in the heart of the Coal Valley wine country. They had already been to Port Arthur so didn't join us today.

We were interested to cross over the Denison Canal near Dunally (big bush fires recently). The canal allows boats to pass from one side of the Tasman Penninsula to the other, without having to go all the way around.

At Port Arthur the tour and visitor information were very comprehensive and interesting. Included was a short cruise around the bay to see the cemetery island and also the island where the boy prisoners were kept and schooled. Apparently this enlightened treatment of child prisoners contributed greatly to the site's classification on the World Heritage List a few years ago.

Later in the day we visited Hobart's Museum of Old and New Art, owned by the Tasmanian gambling millionaire David Walsh to house his personal art collection. The building was fascinating but few of the artworks kept my interest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Port ArthurPort Arthur
Port Arthur

The main prison with officers' quarters on the hill, and the Commandant's house above my head.
Prison ChurchPrison Church
Prison Church

This was not consecrated because it was multi-denominational. It fitted a surprising 1,000 worshippers in tiered seating. Sadly the interior was gutted by fire after only a few years.
View across the bayView across the bay
View across the bay

Port Arthur started as a convict settlement in 1833, for mainly chronic re-offenders. Convict transportation to Van Dieman's Land stopped in 1850, but the prison continued until 1877 for aged and infirm prisoners. Some 30 buildings and ruins remain of the original 200 structures.
Memorial PlaqueMemorial Plaque
Memorial Plaque

This was the only reference to the Port Arthur massacre in April 1996. The Broad Arrow Cafe in the grounds is stripped out to resemble a ruin and there is this plaque in the garden. The site documents make brief mention of 'the gunman'.
Eaglehawk NeckEaglehawk Neck
Eaglehawk Neck

This narrow spit of spit of land was guarded by 18 dogs, leashed side by side to stop escapees.
Eaglehawk NeckEaglehawk Neck
Eaglehawk Neck

The tide is out, but you can see the 50m wide isthmus just to the right of Robyn's head.
MONA EntranceMONA Entrance
MONA Entrance

Reflections of a tennis court out of view.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb