Tassie Trip Day 4


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Port Arthur
October 13th 2010
Published: October 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We woke to a wet and overcast day again today. We set off early to make our way down to Port Arthur. It was quite a long but scenic drive, it was a shame that it was raining and the road was very windy in parts.
Port Arthur was fabulous. We took advantage of hiring the audio kits which gave great insight into the times of the convicts, how they lived and survived. The grounds are beautiful and green. The cottages are very well set out and interesting. We took the boat cruise out to the island of the graves and Poer island, where the younger male convicts lived. They were kept separated from the older males for their own safety.
On the way home we visited The Remarkable cave, this is a fantastic large cave. You walk down steps into the belly of the cave where you have a fantastic view right through the cave and out to sea. The waves crash through the cave rolling all the smooth boulders which makes a sound similar to that of rolling thunder. Amazing.
We then drove down to the Tesselated Rock pavement which we found was very interesting.
What a fab day. We arrived home after 7pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Church at Port ArthurChurch at Port Arthur
Church at Port Arthur

The convicts had to stand within their own cubicle and were not allowed to see or talk to anyone.
Puer IslandPuer Island
Puer Island

The younger male convicts lived separately from the rest of the convicts. They were kept on Puer Island


18th October 2010

Who chained Steve up. Whatever had he done?
18th October 2010

Hi Alex
I should have left him chained up....LOL he he!! Just kidding

Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb