Mt Field, padymelons, potteroos


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Mount Field
March 12th 1993
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We made it to Mount Field with just enough day light to set up our tent. We then took a brisk walk through the forest. Lots of old swamp gums which were obviously growing well before any of us white folks discovered Tasmania. Next morning we were up early and walking again. We spotted lots of potteroos and wallabies. Lorenza seemed to be loving our Tassie tour so far and I was so happy she shared my opinion of this place being so special.

The padymelons were hanging around our campsite, in the nearby river hundreds if fish (about 6 to 8 inches long) are jumping form the water and seem to be catching insects of some sort. As dusk fell it was lovely to listen to the birds calling and the river singing it's own sweet song as the water flowed across the rocks. Dusk is such a busy time in the bush as all the animals and birds have a quick snack before settling down for the night. Dinner cooked on our small stove is always good. We took a wander to the local pub after our feed. We relaxed with some cool beers and talked about our favorite birds, trees or animals and what a magical place this is. We got talking to the barmaid for a while and her sister runs the local hostel. She turned up soon after and joined us for a beer or five. She told has she had not had a very good time for the last few days thanks to a group of extremely rude Americans who were at the hostel. She explained she was on the verge of telling them to leave after they had given 3 Japanese tourists such a hard time that they moved on. She got over her frustrations by looking through the bottom of a few beer glasses in quick succession!

Had a great sleep in our cosy little tent after the beers. Next morning had the hottest shower I have had for days! I came back to the tent and woke Lorenza, suggesting she have a go in the shower, I explained that she did not smell it was just so nice to enjoy the hot water. While Lorenza took off for the showers, I sat watching the early morning mist in the river as it floated across the rocks. I also listened to the birds greeting the morning and the marsupials slowly appearing to search for some breakfast.

We did some more walking and wondered at the variety of plants and larger trees and spent a lot of time just sitting, watching and listening to the waterfall. Judging by what the woman from the hostel had told us, camping here had been a good option.

We left Mount Field and made our way to Lake St CLair, via Bothwell. In Bothwell we spent ages talking to a woman who owned the local fuel outlet. It was a lovely warm day, but the woman also explained what life was like there during winter.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb