Tasmania - our last few days


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Margate
March 19th 2015
Published: March 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

KetteringKetteringKettering

A good breakfast had here.
Thursday 19th March 2015





Our stay here in Tasmania is coming to an end and today we thought we’d do a few things we had talked about doing over the last few weeks.

We had breakfast at the Mermaid Cafe, which is at the ferry harbour in Kettering. Here a very pleasant young lady served us a large dish of bacon and eggs with toast and coffee for the princely sum of $10 each (this is their happy hour deal which we read about in the local paper and goes from 9.30 to 10.30am). We spent about an hour there, enjoying the view of the marina, watching the ferry to Bruny Island leave with a load of cars, and reading the Mercury, the Tasmanian morning paper. Most civilised!

On a previous trip to the peninsula opposite us in the bay we saw the Peter Murrell Reserve. Murrell is the surname of Judy's grandfather and although she thinks this is a different branch of the family just the name made her want to explore the reserve. This was Rags’ opinion anyway, which he kept to himself at the time! There are two parts to to
HowdenHowdenHowden

Getting oysters off the rocks.
the reserve - the inner circle which is the conservation area and the outer ring which is a reserve designed to protect the conservation area - interesting idea. The nature walk was through the inner circle and this is where we headed. We spent well over an hour walking through it, not seeing any animals and only a few birds. Still, it was good exercise, and much needed after the big breakfast.

From there we went to the Howden foreshore, where we saw numerous oysters on the rocks. Rags was prepared this time with a container and an oyster knife, getting enough oyster meat for an entrée for both for this evening.

On our way home we picked up some bacon in Margate, as we considered this essential for the Oysters Kilpatrick. Maybe we should have done this a couple of days ago for St Patrick’s Day?

The rest of the afternoon was spent around the house, Judy did some more light pruning (mainly dead heading the many roses) in the garden to fill tomorrow’s bin, Rags tried to find the best way to get to the airport on Saturday.

There is very little public transport
KetteringKetteringKettering

The view from the cafe.
from Margate to Hobart and on Saturdays there is even less! Rather than the more than $120 quoted by a taxi company, we are catching the only morning bus from near here at 0816 and then using the airport transfer bus from Hobart. This will cost less than half the cost of a taxi and add a little excitement to the trip.





Friday 20th March 2015





Three weeks have passed here in Tasmania, can’t believe it has gone so quickly yet it seems so long ago since we were in Victoria.Today was a day of getting ready to go. We spent the day packing, cleaning the house, cleaning the car, and just generally ensuring we are ready to catch the bus at 0816 to Hobart tomorrow morning.

We have really enjoyed being here, the weather has been kind to us, the sights have been well worth seeing, and the house we stayed in was fantastic! Rags really got to enjoy driving the little BMW, totally different to the big Jeep he normally drives.

Home Exchange is definitely the way to go if you want to stay somewhere for a length of time and want to get to know a little more of how people live in different places. We look forward to reciprocating to our hosts at a future date.



Saturday 21st March 2015



A day of frustration, patience and boredom! We were up early and waiting for the only bus out of here at 0816. Before that we washed and dried the sheets and towels, leaving the house as clean and tidy as we received it. Thank you Ian & Kerry for allowing us to share your delightful environment. We look forward to reciprocating in October.

Once in Hobart we had another couple of hours to kill, this time at Maccas, with a coffee and the local paper. From here we caught the airport bus to the airport where we spent another hour or so before our flight to Melbourne. Was a hassle, but to catch a taxi from where we were would have cost at least $120 if there was one available. Our way was cheaper (just over $40) and more dependable.

That was only the beginning however, as when we arrived in Melbourne we had to wait
Peter Murrell ReservePeter Murrell ReservePeter Murrell Reserve

We walked through here for an hour or so. Not overly spectacular vegetation.
over an hour for the transfer bus, and then endure a 2.5 hour journey to near where we had left the van. The driver of this bus was friendly enough, just he dithered around a lot, we left 20 minutes late, then stopped wherever passengers wanted him to go, even though it was off the normal route. Near enough to a 12 hour day from where we were, a 90 minute flight, and what should be a 90 minute drive.

Exhausted when we finally arrived at John & Marilyn’s place, but a good feed and good wine soon had us forgetting our trials of the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

HowdenHowden
Howden

This fellow was just sitting near us as we arrived at the beach.
HowdenHowden
Howden

A good entree.
Cyclists are consideredCyclists are considered
Cyclists are considered

These signs are all over the state and certainly get the message home.
MargateMargate
Margate

In our front yard.


24th March 2015

I've enjoyed Following you to this most interesting island...
not sure if I will ever make it there myself.
24th March 2015

Thanks
Thanks, for the comments, Bob.
24th March 2015
Howden

Howden
Just lovely
25th March 2015

Last days in Tasmania.
Hi Judy and Rags. Have enjoyed reading of your travels around the East coast of Tasmania.From your photos it looks a lovely Island and I regret never having been there. I would be very surprised if Peter Murrell, of the Peter Murrell Reserve, was related to my Dad's family.But stranger things have happened !! The Oysters were a welcome find, weren't they ? Now it's on to the next stage of your holiday in your new Caravan. Did you manage to sell the old one or did you have to "Trade it in?" Well I'm off to do my shopping. The temp. over here today is 27c., a lovely day really, but the nights are getting cooler which I'm happy about. Love Mum xx
1st April 2015

Last stop in Vic
Hi Mum, we are at a little town called Genoa which is the last town before we get to NSW. We are still debating what to do as it is Easter very soon and we need to avoid the Easter crowds so we might stay here a couple of days. Hope your weekend goes well. Will be in touch on your birthday, love and hugs, Jude
15th April 2015

Day Tour Tasmania · tour Tasmania with great expeditions
This is a great blog and Tassie is such a beautiful state and lovely place. Our tour started out really well organized. I went on the Port Arthur and Tasman Peninsula tour with a stop at the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park.

Tot: 1.283s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 28; qc: 129; dbt: 0.9178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb