Tazmanian tigers and more


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
October 23rd 2006
Published: October 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Botanical GardensBotanical GardensBotanical Gardens

Pretty flower. No idea what it's called.
After a very early start and a rough flight I landed in hobart feeling some what tired and sick. So thursday I spent a relaxing day looking around Hobart. Went to salamanca place which is situated down by the water front. There loads of little cafe, resturants and craft shops. So enjoyed spending some there.

As friday dawned decided abit of excercise was in order, so took a lovely walk along the river to the ruins of the female factory, where women convicts were sent to work. Then walked on to the botanical gardens. Which were really pretty, as alot of the flowers were out. Really enjoyed the japanese garden and got a bit chilly in the sub-antartic plant house. On the way to the botanical gardens I pasted the old beaumoris zoo. Which is where the last tazmania tiger died in 1936. As far they are awhere there are no more left. Although there is a reward of a million dollars if you manage to capture a picture of one.

Saturday started off with a walk back to salamanca place to experience the arts and carfts market. Which was huge, loads of stalls displaying a wide vareity of
Japanese gardenJapanese gardenJapanese garden

Really beautiful
produce everything from outdoor art to woolen socks and wine. after spending several hours looking around the market, it was time to enjoy one of the local cafe's. yummy. then unfortunatly time to something pratical like the washing, boo.

At half six my alarm clock starts blaring as it's time to get up and see what sunday has to offer. Today it's the start of five day tour around tazmaina. so we are off to Port Arthur. On the way there we stop at a few places to have a look around. one of the stops is at Richmond which was the first colonial village. Some of which was built by the convict's that were sent to tazmania to carry out their sentance's as labours, in cluding Australias oldest bridge. which is not all that old as it was only built in 1823.

Port Arthur was set up as prison in 1833 or 'punishment camp' as the prisoners who were sent here, not just holed up their cells. they were there to work. if they were good workers they would get better jobs better living conditions. the worst job to be doing was tree cutting as the trees are massive. once the tree is cut down upto a hundred convicts lined up, 50 each side of the tree. they had to carry the tree back to camp, as all the convicts had their legs chained together if one fell, the rest would go too, including the tree a few convict's died because of this. also went on a cruise into the habour to see the isle of the dead where the cemetry anyone who died is, and to see piers point where the boys prison once stood, boys as young as eight were kept there. The boys prison was set away from the main prison so that they were not influenced by the older men.

On the way back to hobart in the afternoon we stopped in at a few natural attaction. The tasman, Devils kitchen and the remarkable cave which was really cool.

On monday after another early start we head off to Freycinet national park to see the world famous wineglass bay. which included a three walk of our choose. So naturally I picked the hardest, so me and my new mate Roisin headed up mount Amos expecting a steep track up the mountian.
Beaumaris ZooBeaumaris ZooBeaumaris Zoo

Where the last tazmanian tiger died
what we found was solid rock face and alot of climbing, not really a walk. By the time we got to the top we were feeling very pleased with our selfs, as we were told it would take us two hours to get to the top and we made it in one hour ten mins. The veiw from the top was absolutley amazing, so well worth the climb. the look out is right over wineglass bay and the surrounding area. Anyway what goes up must come down which in some ways was a lot harder and scarier in places. but made it down in 36 mins. so making a new record for the next tour group. also visited honeymoon bay and a cool blowhole.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Port ArthurPort Arthur
Port Arthur

Whats left of the prison site
Me in chainsMe in chains
Me in chains

Their really heavy. The convicts had to wear these all the time.
MeMe
Me

In case you've forgoten me
Remarkable caveRemarkable cave
Remarkable cave

Really cool, makes loads of noise.
BlowholeBlowhole
Blowhole

Amazing I didn't get wet
Mount AmosMount Amos
Mount Amos

The climb up
Mount AmosMount Amos
Mount Amos

The view from the top


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb