Going for our Truck Licence and other things


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
November 6th 2014
Published: March 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Laying the new drivewayLaying the new drivewayLaying the new driveway

Ben and mates came along and completed the new driveway in double quick time. Nice work Ben!
Things progressed and we were confident that the Coaster would go around the corner (and into the carport) so we agreed a price with Lawrence and Deb and proceeded to make arrangements to get our Light Rigid Licences.

A Light Rigid Licence is required to be held when you want to drive a vehicle that has a Gross Vehicle Mass that is greater than 4500 kg but less than 8000 kg. Small trucks and buses (with around 15 -25 seats) usually fit in to this category.

The logistics were a bit tricky as we had to (firstly) get Lawrence to drive the Coaster into Hobart for a service and check-over and then when that was completed get the Coaster delivered out to Glenorchy where we would sit a written examination and then perform a practical test (using the Coaster). Using our BYO Light Rigid vehicle instead of the testing authorities saved us about $200 each. The driveway couldn't be repaired so a new slab was installed by Ben and some of his mates. They did a great job.

The licence written test was quite difficult (especially if you had not studied that much) and I just scraped past.
The corner!The corner!The corner!

That gate has gotta go
But Georgi went very well (I think my hints may have helped). After the written test, came the practical test and the first task was to do five handbrake starts on a hill (actually the Brooker Highway). We then proceeded out to Brighton and then to Ti-tree and Richmond and then back in to the city (where I rolled through a give way sign). We did learn quite a few new things including the correct way to drive through a roundabout, and driving defensively and using the mirrors. I wasn't confident that I had passed but the licence tester said that I had shown enough to be awarded my licence.

I headed off to Service Tasmania to pay my licence upgrade fees while Georgi took her practical test. Of course, she passed with flying colours (although she was chided for calling a truck a lorry).

So, the two truck drivers headed home to Moonah to face the biggest test of all - getting the Coaster around the corner and parking it in the carport. It was quite an ordeal and by the time we had completed the corner manouevre, we had suffered quite enough for one day. We decided that the carport could wait.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb