First day in Tassie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
January 28th 2011
Published: March 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

First stop Hobart. We arrived in the evening just before sunset and my verdict so far was that Tasmania was more than beautiful. I always think that if the drive from the airport is impressive then good things are likely to be ahead.

We checked into our hostel and took a stroll down to the Salamanca area where everything was happening. This was clearly where Hobart came alive in the evenings.

Tasmania is said by some to have the best food in Australia and we stopped at a little Vietnamese restaurant in Tasmania for dinner. Does that mean it's the best Vietnamese in Australia? Or just the only one in Tasmania? Anyway, it was good food and we managed to get there just before a queue around the entire restaurant formed.

We discovered that Tasmania is quite chilly compared to the mainland so quite hurriedly made our way back to the hostel for a few round of cards.

The next morning was a Saturday which meant it was time to visit the famous Salamanca Markets. Imagine anything you could ever want to buy and the Salamanca markets probably have it! It was much bigger than it looked and it took a good couple of hours to get around it (although this may have been because we stopped to try every free sample going! We didn't eat breakfast and after all that free food, didn't need to!)

After the markets went to sit by the water and wait for our Port Arthur tour to begin...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 21; qc: 102; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb