8th March 2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
March 10th 2008
Published: March 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

8th March 2008
Finally left Keith and Beth reluctantly as we had an appointment with Salamanca market. We were going to miss the Taste of the Huon, which is a yearly festival where you can taste all the gorgeous fruit and food grown and cooked in the Huon.
We made our way to Battery Point and meet Ken and Gemma and the children at John and Narelle's, Ken's parents. They made us so very welcome and Bob and John were soon deep into family trees. John has a whole room dedicated to the task with amazing old photos. He has records going back to the convicts records. Narelle makes dolls dresses for a very large collection of all sizes and shapes of dolls.
We had lunch with them then we went to the market. Salamanca is a world famous place and a tourist trap!!! Dinah was soon begging for money from Bob to shop, which he handed over on the understanding nothing of any weight was bought.
After some minor purchases we went to visit Aunty Mary / Granny, who is Emma's Gran. She has been poorly but is now back at home and has a wonderful apartment overlooking the market area, which I remember as the site of the quarry when I was here 15 years ago.
We went for a quick trip up Mt Wellington as it ws a beautiful clear day and Ken had computer installation to do for his Dad. The views were awesome as you look directly down on Hobart from 1000 metres, although the drive up is quite twisty and narrow and the road gets closed in stages when the weather is bad. There is regularly snow on the top in winter and very high winds.
We went back down and delivered the keys to the shack back to Roger and Peter together with our thanks for allowing us to share their little piece of paradise.
After a good supper with John and Narelle and Ken and Gem and the children, and a lot of jokes and teasing between Narelle and Bob, we went back to Rokeby to spend our first night with Ken and Gem before setting off to Port Arthur and our second boat trip in a week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb