WILD TASMANIA...Wild Rivers N.P...Up the Gordon without a paddle.


Advertisement
Published: November 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

WILD TASMANIA...Wild Rivers N.P...Up the Gordon without a paddle. One of my sisters was in the protest years ago. The Tasmanian Premier would have called her and others: a "ratbag collection of mainland unemployed''. Others would later call them "Greenies". Their banners were "No Dams" stickers on cars...in bus shelters...on telegraph poles...on our bedroom walls. They formed a human blockade ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 96, Displayed: 21


Advertisement





THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES STRAHANTHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES STRAHAN
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES STRAHAN

Next we head into the Tarkine...Tasmanian Tiger territory



15th November 2014
FIRST LIGHT ON THE GORDON

lovely view
Beautiful dawn. Ethereal, misty and wild. A result of the Greenies' efforts perhaps!
15th November 2014
FIRST LIGHT ON THE GORDON

Beautiful dawn. Ethereal, misty and wild
Glad you checked out this blog Hem. Your beautiful photos make me think you would love Wild Tasmania and the magical world that remains in Wild Rivers NP. Having sailed up the Gordon I can see why the Greenies protested for it to be saved from development...and why Tasmanians are so proud they did. To preserve its beauty there are studies and speed limits to ensure river bank erosion is kept to a minimum. One place where it's hats off to the Greenies!
15th November 2014
THE GORDON RIVER

Water everywhere!
Definitely my fave of your Tasmanian idyll--love those blues and reflections! And a sailing boat wins over a cruiser any day--good call. How great that your sister participated in the protests to stop the dam and preserve an area of such beauty, as I did down in Patagonia. In the US, we're now blowing up dams and letting more and more rivers run free. Here's to free rivers!
15th November 2014
THE GORDON RIVER

Water everywhere!
Gotta agree Tara. Everyday in Wild Tasmania was a delight and beauty was everywhere. But the colours and reflections up the Gordon were out of this World. Hope my pics give a taste of what it was like in reality. Having seen the spectacular beauty of the Rio Baker in Chile I can see why "No A La Inundacion de la Patagonia' was your cry. Having seen the trickle of the Blue Nile Falls in Ethiopia I have also seen how the wild rivers can change when dammed. And having sailed up the Gordon I feel very fortunate indeed.
16th November 2014

Take me back
A beautifully worded account that did justice to the spectacular awesomeness of the Wild Rivers & the photos? Wow...
16th November 2014

Take me back
What can I say? Says it all.
16th November 2014

Glad it wasn't Death of a Photographer!
Sorry, a gentle or not so gentle nod to Richard Flanagan who was maybe talking about this river, I'm not sure, but certainly sounds and looks fabulous. What time of year did you go, Dave?
16th November 2014

Glad it wasn't Death of a Photographer!
Hi Meryl. We were there in January this year...bit behind with my blogs...trying to bed Tassie before we leave for our next trip before Christmas. Look forward to hearing of your upcoming Laos trip. Enjoy.
16th November 2014

Magic!
The story of a river which continues ever more (Gordon Dam not withstanding). Nothing like a trip through the uninhabited wilderness to make you feel alive!
16th November 2014

Magic!
Magic indeed Jason...but why am I not surprised? Trust you to check my Facts Sheet!!! Fortunately I did not slip up, albeit providing minimal info. The Gordon Dam feeding off Lake Gordon in the upper reaches of the Gordon with capacity 5 times that of Sydney Harbour was built without opposition in the 1960s. Yet when they proposed in 1978 to build 2 dams on the Franklin River including the Gordon Below Franklin Dam all hell broke out. There was even a march of 10,000 in Hobart! Those dams were never built and this humble dancer testifies to that. Keep up the good work Jason and thanks for commenting. I'm still chuckling!
16th November 2014

Lovely scenery
The Tasmanian National Parks are spectacular. I did a four day hike in one of them back in the 90-ies and loved it. /Ake
16th November 2014

Lovely scenery
Thanks Ake. How lucky were you to come from Sweden and hike in Tasmania? Yet Scandanavians are amongst the most adventurous travellers so not surprising, but a long way to come!
16th November 2014

Beautiful! And once again NO worked
What amazing colors and pics Dave, and so jealous of your peaceful beautiful stormbreaker :) Glad you again highlighted people power in the damming of the Franklin case - how tragic to have traded this beauty for industry. Go the Greenies!
16th November 2014

Beautiful! And once again NO worked
How often has "NO" come to anything Cindy? This is a special place because for some reason the powers to be did take notice. It may not have worked in another time. There are examples of "People Power" in history...and this is one of them.
17th November 2014
UP THE GORDON BELOW FRANKLIN

Kaleidoscope of colours...
Wow! Another incredible place and another beautiful journey... So lucky you got to sail there... so eerie and peaceful... Love the reflections in the water! I have to say I'm more and more intrigued by Tasmania... I guess I'll just have to get over there one day and follow in your footsteps... Great blog Dave, thanks for sharing!
17th November 2014
UP THE GORDON BELOW FRANKLIN

Kaleidoscope of colours...
Taking pics through the porthole of the loo seems somewhat obsessive Anna...but the results are there to see. And I've just posted a taste of them! Gotta say the pics would have been ordinary if we'd been on one of the giant cruisers. Being on a yacht on an overnight trip...catching dusk and first light over the river from a yacht and Macquarie Heads from the bank was truly surreal.
17th November 2014

Stunning Pics...
David.... I still remain totally and utterly confounded as to how you get such wonderful shots out of that little camera that I once had the privilege of getting my rather oversized, yet grubby mitts on. Come on, time to own up... You are really a veritable, 3rd Dan Black belt in 'Advanced Photoshopping Techniques'...... If that be the case, then I yield to thee oh Dancing One..... Lead me and show me the way.....
17th November 2014

Apparitions
Made my day to have a ghostly visitation from my one of our Mischief on the Mekong crew...two Cockles, a Camel & the Dancing Duo! You know I'm not technical Nick. I'd like to learn how to use Photoshop but I don't have the time or the know how. Too busy dancing and playing the blues. Looking forward to doing it again with you guys some day. Keep in touch and thanks for commenting.
19th November 2014
UP THE GORDON BELOW FRANKLIN

Tasmania
When reading blogs and enjoying these photos one truly understands the need to book another trip. Life is short... great stuff.
20th November 2014
UP THE GORDON BELOW FRANKLIN

Tasmania
To think I missed out on the delights of Tasmania for so long MJ. Agreed life is short...but not too short to not look forward to our next trip...and who we may meet...getting closer!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 19; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb