Day 8 Hobart to Hamilton via Gordon River Dam


Advertisement
Published: October 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Constitution Dock HobartConstitution Dock HobartConstitution Dock Hobart

This is where the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race finishes.
Today we set off from Hobart to travel to Hamilton. We drove to Lake Pedder and the Gordon River Dam. It was a long, hilly and windy drive to the dam and we passed snow on the sides of the road. The Dam is amazing. It is a huge structure and you can climb down the many steps to walk across the top of it. The Dam was completed in 1974 and is 140 metres high. It is the highest arch dam and this dam is the largest storage dam in Australia (12.4 million ML).
Lake Pedder is a beautiful huge lake surrounded by mountains. Unfortunately, it was freezing cold, windy and wet so we had to eat our lunch in the car again.
We then drove back to the Mt Field National Park and into Russell Falls. These falls are fantastic. If you are in Hobart you should not miss a visit to these falls. We walked a little way further into the National Park and came across another Falls, the Twin Falls- equally lovely and not to be missed.
We arrived at Hamilton at about 5pm. Our accommodation at the Old School House was lovely. A two bedroom place with a fireplace and lovely old iron-legged bath!
We went down to the local pub for tea, and spent time chatting to a very nice couple from Newcastle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Russell FallsRussell Falls
Russell Falls

Mt Field National Park
DinnerDinner
Dinner

at the Hamilton Inn
The Old LibraryThe Old Library
The Old Library

We stayed in the old library. It had two bedrooms, loungeroom, kitchen and lovely bathroom.


24th October 2010

The dam
looks HUGE - it's funny because we always end up looking at dams on our holiday too!! If we are ever in the area, we will definitely go and see the twin falls - never seen anything like that before!!
25th October 2010

just looking at that photo of the dam makes me feel giddy!!! In my newspsper today there's an article about a lorry full of fish driving into a pylon in Hobart and not only causing loss of power to the city, also covering the raod in tuna. Did you see that, I wonder
25th October 2010

Hi Carrie
No, we didn't see the Tuna Truck accident. We did try some of the lovely Tassie Salmon though - very nice!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb