Climbing mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Cradle Mountain
December 1st 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We followed the winding, hilly road to Cradle Mountain, we got a rare break in the weather after we arrived and made a mad dash to Dove Lake car park for a view of the mountain, the weather in the National Park is so fickly it can be go from raining cats and dogs to sunny to windy to freezing cold with in half an hour. The sun was still shining even though it was freezing cold so we walked the 600mtrs around the edge of the lake to “The Boat Shed” , we were about half way there and the cloud came over in seconds and it began to rain ice balls so we made a mad dash toward the little timber shed on the edge of the lake. Sam and Dannielle climbed through a hole in the boat shed to get out of the rain while the rest of us sheltered next to the side of it until the rain stopped which was about 5 minutes and thank god because those little balls of ice really hurt.
That night we went to Devils@cradle, a program where they are working toward saving the Tasmanian Devil from dying from Facial Tumor disease, they are interbreeding and this is transferring the tumors so fast that they would be endangered in 10 year and extinct in 15, so they have brought together Devils from different areas of Tassie and created a breeding program that is successfully not transferring the disease. We even got to pat one. They are not aggressive, in fact they are very timid and will only act in self defense if you can get close enough which is very unlikely.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb