What a great few weeks!!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Burnie
October 15th 2006
Published: October 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

What a great few weeks. A couple of weekends ago, Marcus and Sharon came over again and stayed with us for the weekened (Sharon is looking very pregnant!!) They arrived Friday tea-time, having driven down from Northern Tassie in a rental car. Friday night we went round to a colleague's of Ivor's and ex-colleague of Marcus'. Jen and Andrew also came with Anabelle and Sebastian. We had a curry and chatted lots before driving home for the evening.

The next day we went to Port Arthur where there was a convict colony- it's a really fascinating historical place which was sadly,also the scene of a devastating tragedy when a gun-man killed 35 people - not long after Dunblane. We spent 4 hours there and got 'membership' - so we can take our visiting relatives quite cheaply!! You could easily spend a lot more time there.

That evening, we went into town - the Tavern (our local) wasn't serving evening meals because that Saturday had been a big social and BBQ so they'd packed up for the day!
We had a great dinner nevertheless- and went back to the Tavern for a few drinks and Ivor and Marcus played Pool. ( I am losing our tournament at present - quite dramatically!!!)
Ivor won (he's getting a very big head!!)

Next day was a nice lazy morning and then a return to the Tavern for Ivor and Marcus to play more Pool.

Since then - I have returned to Melbourne for the half marathon, last weekend. Ivor didn't fancy the run so i went alone - we were also a bit concerned on the cost of flights post-holiday!! It was a great weekend. Ivor had a boys' weekend - fishing and playing golf - whilst I went round baby and clothes shops with Sharon. We all went out for a meal Sat night and then got up really bright and early for the half-marathon. I ran along with Marcus - a great course- along the coast- and perfect weather. I then flew back to Hobart - it's so funny here - we catch flights just like we might catch the train back home in the UK! Am getting very used to flying!

This week we experienced "Bush fires" - Tassie was suffering from 34 degree temperatures and then a whole hostof fires - Ivor and I were not only very hot - but frightened to death!! Having spoken to a few Aussies since - they just say "Ah no worries!!!" - they take it in their stride - so we have tried to follow the lead. When it comes down to it - we don't have that much stuff - we could throw things in a car and go - as long as we are safe!!- scary when you have never experienced it though!! You could see huge flames and smoke from our school.

This weekend we went up to Burnie - I ran the "Burnie 10k" - a huge running event for Tasmania and great fun. Sat morning we headed off up there and had a look at a few of the sights!!- The Leven Canyon was one of the most impressive sights we have seen! You can apparently do a 10hr walk through it which we both really fancy doing this Summer. We stayed with a couple that Ivor had had contact with on the "couchsurfing" website. We are on the site for people to stay here - and basically it's a means of people staying very cheaply in a place. Lynne and Mathew - the couple - were fantastic and their home was just like Jen and Andrews- down a bush track, off the beaten track!!! We stayed there for Sat night and headed off into Burnie on Sunday for the run. weather was a bit hot but the scenery and crowds were great (though not as totally packed as the great North- which was a good thing!)
I enjoyed the run - though struggled a bit!- then the drive home was incredibly easy (traffic here is none existent !) and very pretty.

We have 10.5 and 9 weeks left at school (Ivor has less than me to go !) and then the 8 week Summer hols kick in! My sister is coming to stay - with family - in 5 weeks which we are very excited about - will see my nephew for the first time!!

It's a good life!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb