Robe


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
May 28th 2012
Published: May 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The morning alternated between showers and sunshine and, as we were had a lot of washing, we ended up drying it all in the dryer. We then drove into town - by then the sun had decided to stay out.

We like Robe very much. It is quite an old town with lovely old buildings, many built from the limestone that lines the coast. We drove up the main road .. many of the shops were closed. I asked a lady was it because it was Monday or was this the time that Robe was 'quiet'. I was told it was the latter, in summer the place is packed and then restaurants, caravan parks and accommodation must be booked well ahead. So we're lucky to be here when we can get around easily, though I'm a bit sorry not everything is open.

The shops that were open were very smart with beautiful things inside, though, sadly, not the gallery which I enjoyed going through last time. We bought seafood for lunch, then drove around the clifftops. The oceanfront is very much like the Twelve Apostles along the Great Ocean Road - the ocean pounds the cliff till parts separate, break away, ending sitting out in the ocean.

Between 1855 and 1857, 16,500 Chinese landed at Robe. In Victorian ports there were many Chinese entering to join the goldfields so they were taxed highly to land to try to stem the flow. The Chinese solved the problem by landing at Robe and walking the many miles overland into Victoria and to the Victorian Goldfields. There is a marker commemorating their great trek along the Robe waterfront.

We parked in the sunshine along the edge of the bay, and enjoyed the rest of the day soaking up the sunshine and generally chilling out. Another night in Robe and then we'll head towards Adelaide. I noticed the kilometres under the map yesterday showed over 1300 klms from Sydney to Robe. We have actually done 500 klms more than that - I don't know how they work out their mileage (kilometreage?). Also, if the photos seem small, click on them and you'll see them better.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Limestone cliffs, Great Southern OceanLimestone cliffs, Great Southern Ocean
Limestone cliffs, Great Southern Ocean

the area in front of the oblisk is in danger of breaking away as the ocean eats into the limestone


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb