The Painted Desert – We’re finally there


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
August 31st 2021
Published: September 2nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

This is what we came to see. This is what we came to see. This is what we came to see.

So delicately balanced … for how much longer?
Such smooth road! It was just as described. ‘Really good.’ One could almost relax, but you don’t dare out here. Things can happen when you do concentrate, so imagine what would happen if you didn’t.



Some 40 kms out of town we left Kemp Road, the direct route to Coober Pedy and headed off towards The Painted Desert. This road had clearly been graded in the last couple of days. This didn’t however reduce the amount of dust that hovered and drifted as vehicles drove down the road.



Driving through this area is just breath taking. Photos just don’t give the same sense of wonder and awe that seeing and being immersed in the real thing gives one. It’s the colours, the formations, the cliff faces the way cap stones are delicately balanced atop the mesa. It’s the whole vista, the way it just popped up and then equally quickly disappeared.



We experience a rare treat when Greg spotted a flock of budgies. So hard to imagine these beautifully coloured birds that people keep as pets flying around in large flocks in the wild. The were quite nervous so very hard to photograph.



In at the station, we opened the caravan door to find what looked like really fine gravel all over the floor. Turned out the lid had vibrated off the coffee jar and the granules had escaped. Mixed with much bull dust, cleaning, dusting and sweeping were the first jobs to be done.



We have identified a coffee theme happening on this trip. Stop for a coffee break – things happen- tyre punctures. Carry coffee in the van and it loves to escape.



Corrugations have their own little tricks to play. They love to vibrate things loose. Even the lid on the horse radish in the fridge came off at one stage, cupboard doors come ajar and things fall out. This is why you don’t store heavy things or liquids in the high cupboards. All part of the fun and games of caravan travel. If you don’t like the sound of this then caravanning off the black top is probably not for you.



For those lazy, exhausted and weary from the last 36 hours of dramas, you didn’t even have to leave the station caravan park to get sunset views of the range.



It was distinctly warmer here overnight. It was lovely having the windows open and the natural night lighting flooding the van. Of course, this meant we woke earlier but that was OK.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Greg knows how to win a friendGreg knows how to win a friend
Greg knows how to win a friend

Tummy rubs are to die for ... if you are a dog.
Sunset.Sunset.
Sunset.

A bit like The Flinders this trip. Just didn’t quite cut it.
What a road! What a road!
What a road!

Haven’t seen one as good as this for a while
What is that? What is that?
What is that?

Oh no! Coffee?


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb