Burra – here we come


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
June 29th 2021
Published: July 11th 2021
Edit Blog Post

A week out from our planned departure South Australia was looking down the barrel of a possible new outbreak of the Delta strain of CoVid and hence possible lockdown of Adelaide. So, we made a spur of the moment decision to leave 5 days early. With a few bookings changed, shopping done, Version 3, 4 or 5 of the Itinerary, we headed out of Adelaide on 29thJune.

On Wednesday we left the Barossa and headed for Burra. It felt so good to be getting out in the caravan again. Instead of passing through flowering canola crops as we so often do as we begin our trips, we were passing through freshly germinating crops. The countryside was looking so good … the best it has been in years.

It was just on lunchtime when we arrived at the Burra Caravan Park, so after setting up we headed across the creek to find lunch. The first pub was only open for dinner during the week and the second was not serving food as they were currently renovating the kitchen and dining room. We finished up at The White Cedar Cafe which has been another favourite over the years. Earlier in

the day whilst chatting to a potential employer, it was confirmed that Adelaide had some cases of the virus. We were so pleased we had skipped town.

It was a beautiful sunny day so we went for a walk along a short part of the Heysen Trail … just to the other end of the town and back. There are some absolutely stunning old buildings along the way.

As we walked back from lunch, we had been entertained by a couple trying to eat their take away lunch on the bank of the river, at the same time battling a group of very persistent ducks who were hoping for a snack too. The same group of ducks was still hanging around as we came back from our walk. We wondered what they would do if we went and sat on the grass. It was only a matter of seconds before they waddled up the bank towards us only to be disappointed at our lack of food morsels…. little did they know that we too had been eyeing them off as tasty morsels.

No prizes for guessing the dinner menu for our first night out on a trip.
The Oddfellows Hall. The Oddfellows Hall. The Oddfellows Hall.

A fitting place to park for a coffee. So odd though we had to relocate because the road camber was so extreme the lid on the cooktop wouldn’t stay open.
Steak and big red! Yum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb