a lazy weekend


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
June 30th 2019
Published: June 30th 2019
Edit Blog Post

The Recreation Reserve here in Kimba is very well set out with a football oval, 4x combined netball, basketball & tennis courts, a lawn bowls rink and what appears to be a croquet green as well as a two large free camp areas. Saturday, the Kimba Tigers football and netball teams were playing at home and so there was a lot of activity with players and spectators alike.







After a stunning sunset last night, Saturday was not the best day to be sight seeing – the winds had sprung up through the night and were quite strong by morning and with a lot of rain falling we decided we would just stay inside, venturing outside briefly to watch a bit of football and netball. The skies alternated from blue to black and the wind was fiercely cold. Despite the rain, play was continuous until well after 5pm and whilst the rain was a little nuisance for us, I am sure the locals would have been most grateful and they certainly did not let it halt their sporting program. By early Saturday evening there was a full and very bright rainbow arching over the oval.







Sunday morning and the rain had gone and the wind, whilst still cold, was nowhere near as strong as yesterday.







Rather than referring to the various “Parishes” within a District or County, the Kimba Shire talks about the “Hundred” – for example the Hundred of Kelly or the Hundred of Pinkawillinie - where the Hundred measures 100 square miles. Our Sunday morning drive was out through the cropping/grazing lands of the Hundred of Buckleboo.







We came across the Bascombe Rocks lookout in the Hundred of Cortlinye. The rocks were once known at Cortlinye Waterhole and locals often referred to it as “The Soak” because it was a reliable source of water for their stock. It was interesting to see a small upright stone wall around the periphery and we can only assume that the intention was to direct water so that it pooled rather than just running off.







Bascombe Rocks was also the site for some of the first tennis courts in the area and the photo on the story board shows line marking in 1928.







The free camp is well frequented by nomads, and each day we have seen between 10-15 vans set up. They come in mid-late afternoon and then set off again in the next morning - and tomorrow that will be us as the Buckleboo Road takes us away from Kimba and into the Gawler National Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb