Marook


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
June 22nd 2019
Published: June 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We awoke to the sound of gunshot this morning coming from either the nearby lagoons or the Recreational Game Reserve further up the road. Not sure how the hunters fared; as John said they were “either totally crap at their sport or they were going home with a bagful!” Certainly there were lots of loud, clear shots ringing out well into the morning.







There were a few smart ducks sitting pretty on the banks of the river near us, with a particularly handsome one wandering very close by to introduce himself. We have also seen lots of pelicans and cormorants suggesting that the river is healthy and alive with fish. Good to see.







The major towns of the Riverland – Barmera, Renmark, Berri and Loxton – are situated relatively close to each other with a few smaller localities such as Moorook dotted in between. Massive citrus orchards and vineyards are everywhere but as yet we haven’t seen too many farm gate shops apart from one we spotted yesterday on our drive from Loxton.







This morning we did a loop drive through Barmera, Berri and Loxton stopping for an enjoyable coffee/tea and a shared GF citrus tart at a café fronting the river at Berri. My tea came with a delicate china teacup and saucer set and I remarked to John that my Dad would have loved that!







Back at Moorook our new friend “The Duck” may have shimmered as the sun caught his iridescent back feathers but he was a bit of a persistent nuisance as we ate lunch, waddling back and forth between our chairs and quietly quacking as if to say “well, share some with me!”







After a pleasant afternoon of sunshine, we planned tomorrow’s onward journey. A couple of houseboats meandered along the river. I swear I fell asleep – so relaxing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb