Sandstone, wheatfields and squid ink.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Yorke Peninsula
September 23rd 2013
Published: September 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yorke Peninsula in South Australia is a pretty part of the world. I love the old stone buildings dotted around the country side. The sandstone architecture is lovely too. We arrived here late on Saturday and went for a bit of a tour on Sunday. A very pretty part of the world, the peninsula is a wheat growing area, which is evident by the huge silos at the ports, like Wool Bay and Ardrossan. There are also canola fields and some other grain crops, I am not sure what exactly.

While we were out driving, we investigated jetties along the coast for good fishing spots. Most of the small towns have a jetty, so there are plenty to choose from. We decided on Wool Bay, based on the amount of squid ink marks.

On Saturday night, because we were tired from driving over from Venus Bay, and because we couldn’t be bothered, we had dinner out at the local hotel. They have a very strange system that I guess you must be local to understand. All the table sin the dining side of the lounge had reserved signs, so we sat of the bar side of the lounge. When I went to order, I was told that because we were sitting where we were, we couldn’t have access to the salad or vegetable bar, the meals were cheaper, but we would have to order at the bar. I pointed out that we sat there because all the tables were reserved. The waitress told me they weren’t reserved; they just put signs on them in case somebody books a table. So we moved tables and were then allowed to have vegetables with our dinner. Weird.

Today we sat around for most of the day waiting for the wind to settle for our planned fishing trip. Late afternoon we drove to Wool Bay to try our luck at squid fishing. The weather was great, and we had fun fishing. We put in a couple of crab nets and came home with a couple of legal sized crabs and let the shark we caught in one go. We don’t know the laws relating to Port Jackson sharks. Before returning it to the water, I patted it, then took a photo with Frank holding it. We caught six squid, five of them caught by yours truly. I caught a sixth but as it was about to be landed, it spat it’s ink into the air, landing on my shoulder, then dropped back into the water. Yuk. I don't know why anybody would want it in the pasta. Then we got a nice surprise when a girl came up to us and asked if we would like the flathead she caught. Who in their right minds would say no? She told u that she likes them, but doesn’t want to fillet it. Then it turned out that she really didn’t want to kill it. I don’t know how she despatched everything else she caught.

We arrived home very tired, Sally in particular. She hurt her leg yesterday when she fell of the steps. Normally she bounds up and down the steps. Yesterday she decided to try a different way and fell of as a consequence. She was limping last night and this morning, but seems to be alright now.

I don’t know what is in store for us tomorrow. We will see what the day brings.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb