Exploring the Yorke Peninsula


Advertisement
Published: April 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Port Vincent is approx 2/3rds down the east coast of the Yorke Peninsula. Good Friday saw every person in South Australia come here to stay, thank goodness we booked ahead. The caravan parks is quite well located and the facilities coped very well with the crowds.

It was lovely on Monday afternoon, when quite a number of them left and the numbers became far more respectable. Then it was our turn to ride out and explore. We headed through Stansbury to Edithburgh and from there found a bakery at Yorketown (Mike, we just want to maintain a certain standard)

We rode through Warooka and down to Marion Bay, which is located at the start of the Innes National Park. From there up to Corny Point, back through Warooka and to Minalton before returning to camp. The roads, once again were good, no traffic to speak of which was even better, and it was a nice easy ride. The scenery was different, a lot of the places looked almost desolute, the few sheep we saw, looked alright, but very little feed and hardly any water to be seen. There was very few real trees, mainly stunted bushes. Now admitedly, the peninsular does have a low rainfall p.a. and by its location, the winds tear through, but it looks crook.

There are very few sealed roads and of course we made sure we stayed on them as the rain showers followed us everywhere and on ocassions caught up with us and drenched us. Upon return to camp we went through the process of drying out everything we were wearing.

Eoin is still attempting to fish and caught a couple of small flathead, certainly not worth keeping, but he enjoyed getting the bites.

Advertisement



3rd April 2013

Your Trip
Enjoying the trip with you Eoin and Gail. The trip of a life time. Enjoy.
3rd April 2013

Yorke Peninsula
As a local I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit to us over the busy Easter period - it's a bit crazy here then! Yorke Peninsula is always dry this time of year - dryer than most this year I guess since we didn't have any decent summer rain (we usually get one good summer rain of around 25mm). I work at Yorke Peninsula Visitor Information Centre at Minlaton, so if ever you're back and we can do something to help you, please don't hesitate to contact us! :)
3rd April 2013

Intrepid Travellers
Well that part of the world certainly sounds desolate. When we rode to WA for the AGM we found the same from Port Augusta on. The landscape, weather and roads all seem to understand the Nullabor is coming. I am impressed with your willingness to explore, even in less than ideall weather conditions, you certainly qualify as intrepid travellers. We are 8 days from leaving for this years AGM. Alas this trip is my payback to Nel for all my solo bike trips to all points of Australia, so we must go in the caravan. But in true Ulysses style I have bought a cruiser push bike to carry on the back of the caravan. Best I could do. Stay safe.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0945s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb