Too Hot for the Beach..an aircon drive...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Yorke Peninsula
October 19th 2011
Published: October 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

StansburyStansburyStansbury

...pretty much like Port Vincent really...
Today, because of 'predicted weather', we went for a tour in the air-conditioned comfort of the car, summer has come with way too much vengence for this Central Vic couple and dog !

Heading south again, we headed to Stansbury, situated on the East Coast in the shelter of Oyster Bay. Another picture post card town with an incredibly uncanny resemblance to Port Vincent. Black swans can be seen on the south side of the towns beach, weird ! The Oyster farms supply fresh local oysters straight from the sea so we called in to the local bloke and purchased oysters at $7.50 a dozen (oops, sorry, promised Trish I would not say that), so lunch had been settled for the day!

We then headed inland to Minlaton, known as "Barley Capital of the World". What's more, for as long as people eat bread and drink beer, don't expect that to change. A drive to Minlaton will show you why, if it is not Barley, Barley everywhere, it's waving wheat fields and grazing land. In fact that is the Yorke Peninsular.

Minlaton is the home of the 'Red Devil', a small world war 1 monoplane flown by one of Australia's early aviators, Capt Harry Butler. (google him, quite a a man ). Harry flew across the gulf from Adelaide with the Royal Mail in 1919 with an inflated inner tube around his waist in case he ditched into the sea. He was a dare devil, and dare devils normally paint their planes red, 90 years later you can see his red devil behind glass on the edge of town.

On to Curramulka, the name is from 2 aboriginal words " a deep water hole where emus drink' . These days most of the drinking is done in the 'local', "the Curry Pub"...we did not see a deep water hole ! Curramulka is unique because it has 2 extensive limestone caves on its outskirts, we were too scared of snakes and bats to investigate ! so...back to Port Vincent and the beach to negotiate more crabs !

Today Jackie discovered some BIG birds, Pelicans ! Trish and I had visions of her hanging on as they took off and disappearing out to sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Minlaton Minlaton
Minlaton

still old sandstone buildings prevail


24th October 2011

Jackie can fly!
Did Jackie chase the pelicans? I think she would have watched from afar with her little hackles up! It all does sound like a really great place to explore, glad you are able to spend a few days there.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb