The Bottom End


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Yorke Peninsula
October 17th 2011
Published: October 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wattle Point Wind farm Wattle Point Wind farm Wattle Point Wind farm

How big are these things!
Today was a day of firsts for Trish and I, the first day we slept till 8am something we have not done for a long time, in fact i dont recall the last time for me! We saw our first snake in the bush and we had our first King George Whiting (fish).

We had planned to only spend half a day sightseeing but as we headed to the bottom end we did no realise there was so much to see and once again spent a full day enjoying ourselves Heading south, through Stansbury and Coobowie to Edithburg. Edithburg ahs always been onr of the landmark towns of the Yorke, made more so now by the Wattle Point Wind Farm. These things are giants as you will see from pics we have taken. Edithburg has a scenic harbour, hotels etc and parklands to the same design as Adelaide's by the same designer Colonel William Light. I cannot say I really saw the similarity though! Not being able to find a coffee shop to Trish's standards we made our way inland to Yorketown, The Capital!

Yorketown is at the junction of five roads leading to towns all the same distance
The EP The EP The EP

all about cropping and barley
away. Surrounded by about 200 salt lakes the town has a history initially on harvesting salt. Since the demise of the salt industry in the 1930's the land has mainly become pastoral country. The town itself is quite large (by Yorke standards!) boasting many shops and basic facilities. Trish did find a coffee here which saved her day.

We then via Warooka to Marion Bay at the bottom. Not alot here but obviously a fisho's hot spot with lots of shacks. Innes National Park is the tip of the Peninsular with rugged headlands , sandy bays and limestone cliffs. After a lunch stop at Marion Bay we drove west to Formby Bay on the Spencer Gulf. As you will see from the pics, it is pretty hard to describe other than to say..WOW. Heading north up the west coast of the peninsular we went out Corny Point Lighthouse, this again was a scenic part of the coast.

Calling in t Corny Pt General Store for icecreams the owner told us that many of the 'shackies' in the area were millionaire business men from Adelaide hence the helipad at one shack. But, not Wayne, the drunk we met on the beach walking his paranoid dog, Sam ! Harmless and good fun.

Leaving Wayne, we purchased some whiting on the way home, sat in the late afternoon sun and had a beer and then cooked our fish,,,fanrtastic..what a day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Formby BayFormby Bay
Formby Bay

Our first view of Spencer Gulf
Formby BayFormby Bay
Formby Bay

Nice break...if only i was .....
Formby Bay Formby Bay
Formby Bay

nice bomby
Formby Bay Formby Bay
Formby Bay

My Girls...
Corny pointCorny point
Corny point

Me and my girly
Corny Point Corny Point
Corny Point

Nice bay ...where the hell is Corny Point ???


24th October 2011

one handed typing :)
My comments might be a bit shorter and decreased in number due to one handed typing! But it sounds like you guys are having lots of fun and discovering a lot about the areas you are visiting!
6th November 2011

Can't comment on the photos...
But the photos are fantastic - must be the camera, can't be the photographer! Hehe! The photos of you two with your 'daughter' are really nice! And if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes I would swear she was in the will!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb