A day at Edithburgh


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 18th

Instead of rushing out and about today, we have stopped to enjoy the location where we are camping.

There was an interesting sunrise this morning, and the softer colours brought back the old saying 'Red sky in the morning - shepherds warning.

A couple of hours later and we had a few showers along with the cold wind.

By lunch time the sky showed more blue, temperatures warmed and the rain stopped. So we went walk about in Edithburgh.

We have noticed that these old port towns have one thing in common - the main street runs down to the jetty. Historic photos of Edithburgh show that with the old salt processing factory on the right just before the jetty, and accommodation on the left including the local pub.

The old factories have gone, but a couple of the old warehouses remain. I was interested to see the old Dalgety name still on the window - a name common in NZ as well as here, but disappeared when Wrightson bought out Dalgety in NZ in the late 70s.

Once a prosperous town, now just 470 residents, many retired, and limited shops unless one goes 15 ks to Yorketown.

One sign board tells of the early struggles stating if it had not been the salt mining combined with the grain growing, the area would have collapsed financially. At its peak, 80,000 tonnes of salt was exported through the port here at Edinburgh. The last ships were in the late 1940s.

It doesn't take long to walk around town, but fortunately a flock of pelicans kept us amused for some time. We watched them gliding on the wind (quite strong) and try and land on a lamp stand. Enjoy the pics of these elegant birds as they glide, approach and land, or in most cases, go around. They seemed to do this just for fun - and we enjoyed their antics.

Now it seems that yesterday's rumour about the devouring of said 2 custard squares should not have started as David and Mary showed a high level of constraint and waited until lunch time today to share the second one. And then, out of their compassion for an undernourished fellow traveller or two, brought one back from Yorketown for us to enjoy for dinner tonight. Thanks guys!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Jagged a fishJagged a fish
Jagged a fish

Pretty small but just visible in the picture
Local swimming poolLocal swimming pool
Local swimming pool

Filled each day at high tide
Main Street from jettyMain Street from jetty
Main Street from jetty

As it was early 1900s
Rail carts Rail carts
Rail carts

used to take bags of salt down to the ships


18th April 2013

Like the shots
You are getting some interesting shots liked the pelican transition and the sunrise. You are getting good weather but rain is needed where you are for sure
10th May 2013

er.....
Lost for words - aren't you glad!!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb