DAY 15 ARKAROOLA-WILLIAM CREEK


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » William Creek
June 24th 2022
Published: June 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

The dirt road from Arkaroola to Copley, a distance of 130km, was in very good condition. It took us through some scenic countryside with larger and greener river valleys which had resulted in the road in those areas to have been graded and mended due to the recent flooding.

We were pleasantly surprised to travel on bitumen from Copley to Marree as we thought that from Farina it would be dirt. At Copley we replenished our water tank with 120 litres. We also have 4 x 20L jerries.

The famous bakery at Farina was a ‘must stop’. We did, as did every other traveller on the road. We explored the ruins as Farina, established in 1878, had been a large settlement. At Marree, the junction for the Oodnadatta and Birdsville Tracks, we refueled, and headed off on the legendary Oodnadatta Track. It treated us very well as it was in good condition. 3 weeks ago, it was closed due to flooding making it impassable in many sections. Workman had worked overtime grading and rerstoring sections.

It stretches 600 odd kms from Marree to Marla. We will be stopping at Oodnadatta tomorrow, however tonight it is William Creek, halfway
between Oodnadatta and Marree. WC is home to 6 people and 1 dog … so we were told! The character laden pub is built of corrugated iron. I fed on a WC Burger. Went down well.

We sighted the enormous Lake Eyre and headed as close as allowed. We return this route so will park and walk to its edges next time. We stopped at most of the recommended sights … Sculpture Park, Fettlers accommodation, The ‘old’ Ghan Railway bridges and the ‘up-in-the-air’ pumping tanks for the train. We even herded cattle, encouraging them to move off the road, however, they stayed on the road in front of us for nearly a kilometre. On the return we will also call into Coward Springs, a hot water spring, now a spa. I’m sure Jane will indulge.

Absolutely pitch-black outside. We’re tired so it’s sleep time


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement











Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb