Day 17 of the "Nice one, we're sleeping on grass tonight!" Tour 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Streaky Bay
July 29th 2012
Published: July 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 17

Nullarbor - Head of Bight - Ceduna - Streaky Bay

Nullarbor RoadsignNullarbor RoadsignNullarbor Roadsign

Watch out for Camels
Day 17 of our adventures and we were up bright and early again, or so we thought! There must have been 20 caravans at the Nullarbor roadhouse that night and all were gone by the time we were showered and had the campsite down!

We hadn’t far to go before we reached out first destination of the day anyways! The Head of Bight was only about 20 km’s from where we slept and that was where we went first. The Head of Bight is a head, much like any at home, except that here there were exquisite views and apart from that it is where well over one hundred whales came each year between May and October to give birth to their young and nurse them until they are old enough to fend for themselves. It was an amazing sight to see so many whales in one location, and not only that, so many whales with their young in tow! My pictures really don’t do it justice as you can’t see them all at once or appreciate the size of this graceful mammals but take my (and Colman’s) word for it that it is a sight to behold! We could have spent all day there but we had ground to make so after about an hour gazing at the whales we struck on.

We reached a town called Ceduna at about 2 in the evening and we had to stop into the Information Centre. The reason being was that when we were in Norseman (the last town before we crossed the Nullarbor), the lady in the Information Centre there had told us that we could get Certificates to prove we crossed the Nullarbor in Ceduna (the first town we came to after we crossed the Nullarbor). So naturally we had to call in to receive this certified documents!!

We heard from the nice lady working in the Information Centre that a couple of Irish girls were doing there regional work down in the hotel in the town, so feeling proud of ourselves after crossing the Nullarbor we said we’d call in for a celebratory drink (I had a coke as I was driving) but to our dismay there was no Irish girl working, only a big Aussie guy, so I left him to Coley!

There is, apparently a good lookout from the lighthouse in Ceduna but we
Whale & CalfWhale & CalfWhale & Calf

having a laugh!
wouldn’t know after getting lost trying to get to it. We decided to to be fair like, we’d enough lighthouse’s seen and we’d give this one a miss and head for our next base camp.

With our celebrations complete and after finding the right road again, we blew town and headed south to a town called Streaky Bay on the coast of Eyre Peninsula. It was here that we set up camp for another night and what we hoped would be the first of a comfortable night’s sleep after 3 nights sleeping on limestone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb