RTW Day 53 - Robe


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Robe
April 9th 2018
Published: April 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The temperature is predicted to hit 27 degrees today but I am not optimistic enough to reach for my shorts just yet.

We only have a short distance to cover; 80 miles up the coast to the resort town of Robe. But this means we will have notched up a total of 20,000 miles in total.

After some navigation issues in Millicent (caused by the old man’s inability to tell the difference between left and straight on) we reach Robe mid morning and take a walk along the headland trail. It’s very pretty – a rocky bay surrounded by succulent covered dunes. It has a terribly ugly 1970s lighthouse built to replace the 19th century obelisk which is teetering precariously on the eroding cliff top.

We drive further round the coast to Long Beach, a 10 km long golden sandy beach which you can drive onto. I’m not sure what the hire car would have to say about this, but as the beach is legally classified as a road, technically speaking, we’re not driving off road.

It’s a lovely sunny day (some places in Australia boast their hottest April day ever) so I intend to go for a swim, until I feel how icy cold the water is, and decide to make do with a paddle.

In the evening we take a stroll along the harbour front and back through the old part of town with its historic 19th century buildings. There are a lot of memorial rocks spread around town; aborigines, Chinese miners, soldiers, sailors – they all have a rock to commemorate their sacrifice.

Then back to the motel to watch the Commonwealth Games, which is shown in very brief stints amidst an absolute ton of adverts.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb