Day 18 of the "Whatever about the taste.....It doesn't taste like wine!" Tour 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Lincoln
July 30th 2012
Published: July 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 18

Streaky Bay - Murphy's Haystacks - Elliston - Port Lincoln

Ha! A comfortable night’s sleep! Probably the worse night’s sleep I’ve had since we hit the road! I don’t know what it was but Colman was the exact same. We were by the beach but in fairness it was as calm as I’ve seen the sea in Australia and there was no wind. It wasn’t particularly cold or noisy. It was just uncomfortable for some unknown reason!

Anyway, rant over. Streaky Bay is a nice town but not much to see of do there (in winter anyways) so we drove on south.

About 40 km’s south of Streaky Bay we found a lash of stones sticking up out of the ground that defiantly looked out of place in a typical agriculture background. Green fields as far as you can see but there, right in the middle of the field was this heap of massive stones named after an Irish man, “Murphy” Murphy’s Haystacks there were called and they were just off the main road so we paid the $2 dollar entry fee and wandered around them for half an hour or so. A good call to stop and we got some nice photos with them.

Still heading south the next place we stopped was Talia Caves, which again were just off the main road, about 5 km’s down an unsealed road. The Talia Caves were unlike the Really Dark Caves we visited in Yallingup in WA in that they are caves created by sea erosion. They are made up of two caves, The Woolshed Cave and The Tub. The Woolshed cave reminded me a lot of Nun’s Cove near Coolmain in Kilbrittain except that the cave itself was a lot larger. The Tub was more interesting by a lot harder to capture on camera. It is a large circular opening in the ground with a small entrance where the sea gets at it. Both are nice attractions and were worth the hours detour.

We pushed south again after the caves and found ourselves in a village called Elliston. We decided to stop here as, according to the tour guides it had the largest community mural in the southern hemisphere. Before we found this we saw a sign for “Cliff Sculptures”, so we took another diversion. Expecting to find a sculpture carved into a cliff, we were pretty disappointed when we came to a pole we fish engraved in it and then a block with again fish carved into it! The detour was saved slightly when we came to a head carved out of a big block of stone much like the heads that are found on Easter Island.

Back into town we went and eventually found the mural. The guide books said that it was 500 metres square, and maybe it was, but in all honesty, all it was, was a waste of petrol! The town hall was painted on all four walls and the shed where they kept the lawnmowers was painted the same. It was a graphic of country life or something, but so unimpressed we were that neither of us even have photo of it.

After Elliston there was very little for about 200 km’s. In fact a couple of times Cole said to me the name of the next town/village we’d pass through but if we did pass through them, either they weren’t signposted very well or else they were just two houses and a phone box on the side of the road (much like Newcestown).

Around 4 in the evening we reached Port Lincoln which is the biggest town/city since we’ve been in Albany! It looks like a nice spot so far and we’re set up in a 4 star campsite which has its own beach and jetty so some fishing might be in order in the morning!

Hard luck to Kilbrittain intermediates and Juniors, next year boys! AASR!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Filling StationFilling Station
Filling Station

Arse End of Nowhere


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb