The Eyre Peninsula


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Lincoln
December 16th 2010
Published: December 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After getting out of Ceduna as quick as we could we spent a couple of days in Streaky Bay where we realised, on seeing all the festive lights and displays at the caravan park….hey, it’s nearly Christmas!!!!!! Time to get into the spirit and as it was Friday a G&T and V&T and the odd sip of port went down well!!!!!!

After a slow start the following day we took the tourist drive to Cape Bauer and Westall Way to visit the blow holes (that didn’t blow) the whistling holes, (yes they did whistle) and Murphy’s Haystacks, being rock formations that look like, yes you’ve guessed it, Murphy, no, haystacks!

A short long hop gets us into Port Lincoln. The most southerly tip of the peninsula. We had planned 3 days at the most, but ended up stopping for a full week. So much to do? No, just couldn’t be arsed moving! Plus we met Ron & Shirley who introduced us to three great games (Brad, we said three, not threesomes!). Would you believe it, not since leaving Hervey Bay 7 months ago have we found an Indian restaurant, but Port Lincoln has one, not the best, but no complaints!

Question to all you sporty people……what, or who, is Port Lincoln famous for? Think Melbourne Cup. Still having trouble? Think 3 consecutive wins. Still can’t get it? Look at the pic!
We know you might find this funny but Port Lincoln has a National Park. To access the most southern part you have to obtain a key from the tourist information as only 15 cars are allowed in per day. This area and islands were all named by Matthew Flinders (from Lincolnshire, UK) who had a spot of bother here many years ago losing several crew. We picked up our key, went through the gate and spent a glorious day at Memory Cove, several lookouts and Wanna sand dunes, seeing only one other car all day.
The rest of our stay was spent on short walks or drives, posting xmas cards (if yours hasn’t arrived yet, it’s lost in the post), and playing Cross-hand Poker, Phase 10 and Qwirkle. Oh, and how could we forget, rescuing a Galah caught in fishing line at the top of a tree. We didn’t actually climb the tree, but pushed the caravan park managers to get the fire brigade out with turn table ladders to set the bird free.

Leaving Port Lincoln, our next destination was Quorn, the gateway to the Southern Flinders Ranges. On the way we stopped at Cleve, the best free camp site ever. This place had His & Hers flushing toilets, BBQs and tables, and 5 TV channels and a lovely little walk, yet we were the only ones there.

Our stay in Quorn ended up being quite eventful, but we are going to make you wait just a little longer, so enjoy the quiet before the storm.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



17th December 2010

Merry Christmas
Received your card today which is quite something as we have not had any post due to the weather for over a week. Because we can't send you one thought we would take this opportunity to wish you both a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Fly to Portugal on Wednesday 22nd, weather permitting from Stansted. Arrive back in UK on 3rd January2011. Looking forward to seeing you both in April. Have a good one. xx
18th December 2010

Beautiful photos as usual!!
21st December 2010

where the ***** hell are you
Hi Chaps, Liked your blog on the Eyre Peninsula as usual.Statue of THAT horse has been added since we were in the area. No doubt you will be finding a comfortable bivouac to settle into for the Boxing Day test, where the results may not be as expected. Interesting to hear the Pommie cricketer on TV admit that they had doctored pitches in England. It's simply not cricket, old boy! Keep those photos and blogs rolling. We are enjoying our armchair tour of Australia. Nice of you to pay for the fuel and camp sites. Cheers, Fran and Frank.

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb